Question about traditional rosary prayer

I think I previously posted this in the wrong forum category. So I’m moving it here. =)

I was raised as a Lutheran, but fell away from the church early in my life. Then for twelve years I accompanied my wife (then girlfriend/fiance) to Catholic masses and about 2 years ago - after much study and discussion with my wife’s uncle, who is a priest - I enthusiastically converted to Catholicism.

One of my Lenten vows this year has been to become more familiar with the Rosary, which i have been praying every day and have gained a great fondness for. I recently came across literature showing a Rosary tradition that seems to be more prevelant in Europe than here in the US, and that is announcing the mystery during each of the Hail Marys. Adding it in between “fruit of your womb, Jesus” and “Holy Mary, Mother of God”. For example, in the sorrowful mysteries, adding in

• Who sweated blood for us sinners.
  • Who was scourged for us sinners.
  • Who was crowned with thorns for us sinners.
  • Who carried the cross for us sinners.
  • Who was crucified for us sinners

to the Hail Marys in the corresponding mysteries.

Personally, I find this to be a wonderful way to maintain focus and meditation on the mystery. However, I’ve only found it listed on people’s personal websites, and not on anything I would consider “official”. Is this a recognized method for Rosary Prayer?

Also, all of the information I’ve found on this method is from publications that seem to predate the Luminous Mysteries. Can some one help me fill in the blanks on what phrases would “traditionally” be used there?

I am not familiar with his tradition either, but it sounds like a wonderful way to stay focused on the mysteries! I will be watching this thread for more information. Can you share where you found this idea to begin with?

Certainly. I actually found it in several places while perusing sites that came up through a google search for “praying the rosary”. One of the more complete pages to look at would be blessedtrinityorlando.org/rosary.html

The full list (sans Luminous Mysteries) provided there is:

The First Three Mysteries of the Introduction:
Who increases our faith.
Who strengthens our hope.
Who perfects our love.

The Joyful Mysteries:
Whom you conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Whom you carried in your womb, visiting St. Elizabeth.
Who was born of you in Bethlehem.
Whom you presented in the Temple.
Whom you found in the Temple.

The Sorrowful Mysteries:
Who sweated blood for us sinners.
Who was scourged for us sinners.
Who was crowned with thorns for us sinners.
Who carried the cross for us sinners.
Who was crucified for us sinners.

The Glorious Mystery:
Who resurrected from the dead.
Who ascended into Heaven.
Who sent us the Holy Spirit.
Who raised you, Blessed Virgin, up into Heaven.
Who crowned you, Blessed Virgin, in Heaven.

Thus the Hail Marys for the first of the Joyful Mysteries would be:

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Whom you conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit
Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death.

there is a great little book by Romano Guardini that advocates this traditional method of praying the rosary, it is an excellent beginners guide to the rosary. reprint from Sofia Institute Press

Thank you very much for the suggestion!

I’ve read several suggestions about those kind of additions to help keep the mind focused. I use a couple of my own. For example, for the descent of the Holy Spirit, I include, after “Mother of God”, “Spouse of the Holy Spirit”.

Or I might insert a phrase before the actual Hail Mary. For the Wedding at Cana, I use “Do whatever he tells you”.

I also use an idea from Susan Tassone, and add on the words “And console the souls in purgatory, particularly those most abandoned” at the end of the Fatima prayer.

I’m sure our Mother has no problems with any of this, since they are used to help keep the mind on the prayers.

More beautiful suggestions. Thank you. I’ve begun using some of these ideas and find them to be quite beneficial for me. =)

Welcome to the forums, JMoerbe. I am very happy that you’ve converted to Catholic and love to pray the Rosary!

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.