Question about veiling at Mass

Since late August, I have been veiling at Mass. I was inspired by the words of St. Paul and my research about it (I was born post-Vatican II so I was never exposed to it growing up. I belong to a parish that only celebrates the ordinary form of the Mass so no one does it. I have seen other ladies do it when I have attended Mass at different parishes.

I wear either a chapel cap or a headband like a veil during Mass or Adoration. I don’t wear it any time else I am in a Catholic church. Is that okay or should you always cover your head whenever you are in a Catholic church regardless of what you are doing there? For example, I am in the choir and we hold rehearsal inside. Should my head be covered then? I never thought of doing it because we were rehearsing but then Jesus is still in the tabernacle right?

2 Likes

Since this is no longer a required practice, those kinds of questions are largely up to individual discretion. I’ve seen both, including women who veil as soon as they’re in the building, not just in the actual chapel. My impression is that what you’re doing is the most common practice.

I personally do the same as you, although I’ve been reflecting on whether it would be appropriate to move toward also veiling when I’m attending talks or other religious-but-not-liturgical (I think that’s a reasonable way to describe them?) events in the church. I do know, however, that it wouldn’t be realistic for me personally to veil every time I’m in the chapel because my involvement at my church results in a lot of just walking through (our kitchen’s main entrance is in the chapel for some reason?), so any decision I make is still going to be somewhere short of just “Always” and more of “Where is the line?”

2 Likes

The old custom was for ladies to cover their head at all times when inside a church. There is no mandate at this time to do this, although it is not devoid of significance.

6 Likes

You are free to veil if you like… No you should not always cover your head whenever in the Church… at least the Church doesn’t believe that.

1 Like

Orthodox women do it also. I always found it very touching & dear. Here is a photo from a church procession near where @adamhovey1988 lives:

5 Likes

I never step in with out my veil, even when we have meals and are still in the Church.

3 Likes

I suppose if you are veiling to show humility before Christ in the eucharist, it would make sense to do so whenever you are in His eucharistic presence. Having said that, I don’t think one should be overly scrupulous about this sort of thing. Humility is foremost in the heart. Christ knows your heart.

4 Likes

That I do!

1 Like

This sounds dangerously close to scrupulocity dear. You’re asking us to grant you leniency on a restriction you placed upon yourself.

Bottom line: Mother Church doesn’t require you to veil, or even wear formal clothes, simply modest clothing. If you chose to veil, you may.

2 Likes

The rules you make up for covering your head are yours. I don’t call it veiling as I think only brides and religious veil. Others cover their heads. But thats another topic for another forum.

The object is to cover the head, therefore a hat, hoodie, lacy mantilla, scarf, anything can be used. And different coverings might be appropriate in different settings.

7 Likes

This is a beautiful Catholic devotion that is making a major comeback in recent years! At one time all Catholic women veiled in the sanctuary before the Real Presence of Christ as a display of humility and as a mark of women being sacred.

This was the instruction given to us by Saint Paul.

If you go to a Latin Mass for example, you will find the tabernacle veiled, as well as the sacred chalice used to hold the consecrated wine. Why are these things veiled and kept hidden? Because they are sacred! We cover what is holy and sacred, and women are sacred too - they bring forth life!

Whenever I see a woman veiled at Mass, I know the Real Presence of Christ is there!

5 Likes

As opposed to a Mass where women aren’t covering their heads …?

10 Likes

I attend the EF all the time, the Tabernacle is not veiled. It is used for both the EF and the OF Mass.

Some tabernacles have a “curtain” inside that the priest/deacon pulls to the side when bringing Christ in the Holy Sacrament out to the altar or back after Adoration or Mass.

3 Likes

Do you know the historical setting in which St. Paul gave this admonition to the Corinthians?

If I’m in church, I always cover my head, whether I’m in the choir loft or vestibule. The only time I take it off is in the restroom, and put it back on before leaving the restroom.

4 Likes

O joy, a veiling thread!!!

JOqipy8

6 Likes

It’s a shame because they always wind up going off the tracks. Nobody ever seems to be able to stop at:

“I feel like covering my head is something I can offer to God; it’s an old pious practice but it kind of feels new as well.”

First response: “Well, God bless you, enjoy”.

Second response: “Well you know we don’t HAVE to do this anymore but hey, enjoy”.

Third response: “Not only do you not have to do this anymore, but you really probably shouldn’t because you’re probably doing it out of vanity.”

Fourth response: “Why are you accusing people of sin? Who died and left you the ability to read minds?”

Fifth response: “It’s in Scripture and it’s great!”

Sixth response: “Catholics aren’t Sola Scriptura”

Seventh response: “When I see a woman with a headcovering I really like it because I feel the same way, it’s a beautiful gesture and it’s traditional”.

Eighth response: “So I guess now you’re disparaging any woman who doesn’t wear a ‘veil’, right?”
Ninth response: “It was never called veiling. Rad-trads just use it to try to make people think it was more than a woman being forced by men to be a second-class citizen. I will never wear a covering! Women who do are traitors!”

Tenth response: “Can’t we all just agree it’s between the OP and God?”

All subsequent responses: “NO!”

9 Likes

Those that do veil do you match the veil to your outfit or do you just wear a certain color veil with everything?

I like those that wrap around

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.