Question about World of Warcraft

I was wondering like if starting a character that is a female priest would be like bad? you guys know what I mean like I don't want to offend God and my religion, you know? i guess its better to ask first

Never you mind. :slight_smile: The priest class in WoW is not the same thing as a priest in real life. It’s a game, and you don’t dabble in the occult or anything.

Don’t worry about it!

haha thanks sorry I'm just really paranoid since birth :P thanks :)

i would hope not otherwise God might be upset with me playing a druid.

As long as she isn't Catholic. Other religions can call their ministers whatever they want.

Pretty sure the…things (Titans? it’s been a while) that the people in Azeroth and Draenor worship can’t particularly be conflated with the Lord of Hosts, so it’s probably fine.

Short explanation for the non-geeks: most fantasy is set in a world of “virtuous pagans”, albeit with a fundamentally Judeo-Christian (modern version) ethic, rather than a pagan one.

[quote="Hastrman, post:6, topic:225717"]

Short explanation for the non-geeks: most fantasy is set in a world of "virtuous pagans", albeit with a fundamentally Judeo-Christian (modern version) ethic, rather than a pagan one.

[/quote]

Now you've done it... I'm going to sit back and wait for some fanatic to come in here and indicate that playing the game is a sin because being a pagan in a video game can nurture such beliefs in real life. When in reality religion is not at all part of the game unless I missed something lol.

Just you wait... someone out there is thinking it... I can already see it...

"But I'm playing as a glowing, blue standing on two legs alien goat thing"

"A goat is a sign of the devil... SIN!!!"

"But it's a priest"

"Blasphemy!!!"

Better yet...

"My character is undead"

"Was it given life by God"

"I don't know I just thought it looked cool"

"SIN!!!!"

[quote="mdrummer5, post:7, topic:225717"]

"My character is undead"

"SIN!!!!"

[/quote]

"I just thought it looked cool" will go over much better than the real story, which involves the Chief Warlock Gul'dan and his bargain with the Daemon Lord Kil'Jaeden, plus the posessed corpses of holy knights (which is what the original Death Knights were). Yeah, out of context, that looks bad, and not just because putting apostrophes between syllables makes it look like Esperanto.

[quote="Hastrman, post:8, topic:225717"]
"I just thought it looked cool" will go over much better than the real story, which involves the Chief Warlock Gul'dan and his bargain with the Daemon Lord Kil'Jaeden, plus the posessed corpses of holy knights (which is what the original Death Knights were). Yeah, out of context, that looks bad, and not just because putting apostrophes between syllables makes it look like Esperanto.

[/quote]

SIN!!!!!!

Honestly I didn't know that... I didn't get into the lore of the game as much as I'd have liked to. If memory serves I think that was all explained in the last Warcraft RTS but it's been years since I actually played through it.

Now you've done it... I'm going to sit back and wait for some fanatic to come in here and indicate that playing the game is a sin because being a pagan in a video game can nurture such beliefs in real life.

It's rather extreme to characterize us as fanatics, don't you think? That is an ugly word to use. It's not like we are demonstrating and holding up signs that say "God hates gamers."

And I have no right to say or imply that it is a sin to play as a wicked character who does not redeem himself in the end since the Church hasn't infallibly said one way or the other. But I will say that IMO it desensitizes game players. And obviously I don't think that everybody who touches such a game will committ a violent crime. It is just one of many things contributing to the decline of our culture.

[quote="Rolypoly, post:10, topic:225717"]
It's rather extreme to characterize us as fanatics, don't you think? That is an ugly word to use. It's not like we are demonstrating and holding up signs that say "God hates gamers."

And I have no right to say or imply that it is a sin to play as a wicked character who does not redeem himself in the end since the Church hasn't infallibly said one way or the other. But I will say that IMO it desensitizes game players. And obviously I don't think that everybody who touches such a game will committ a violent crime. It is just one of many things contributing to the decline of our culture.

[/quote]

I didn't say anyone specific, but you immediately feel defensive about it. Why is that? It almost proves my point which was actually meant to be sarcastic.

I'm not going to debate the point of whether or not video games (or Magic cards :p) desensitzing people. But you can't tell me there aren't people who take the idea of what is and is not sinful to an insanely extreme degree. I didn't say it was a majority, I didn't even say it was a lot... I said "some fanatic" which implies ONE person not many.

And for what it's worth I firmly believe the severe lack of education at home regarding the difference between fantasy/reality, right/wrong and fact/opinion is far more responsible for the decline in our culture than video games.

The "some fanatic" comment seemed to be a shot at me and others you have spoken to in other threads. I am sorry if I was mistaken.

I agree that not knowing right vs. wrong is more to the point of what is wrong with our culture. Nevertheless IMO popular media, including some immoral games (not the majority), contribute to the decline.

I know the anonymity of the internet can lead a lot of people to act outside their normal behavior. I'm not that person, I'm very direct and find it's a waste of time not to be. If I wanted to call someone out specifically, I would have.

There is certainly room to blame popular media, I don't think I've said otherwise. But it is highly over exaggerated. In my personal experience it's typically those that are quick to lay such blame that don't consider that they're probably not doing everything they can to prevent such deterioration in their own home.

Again, I'm not saying you... you even just said that education is more important but there ARE some very ignorant people out there that see a violent video game or here a negative sounding song that will immediately say "THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WITH SOCIETY" without any real consideration to the facts. So things that you and I have discussed become scapegoats.

I will let you have the last word. Your last post was well said. I mostly agree. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it maybe a 9.45 :D

LOL It's not about having the last word... I just can't help but poke fun at those with such extreme thoughts who for the record I do not group you with as you seem perfectly able to make very intelligent decisions and judgments with common sense.

So NOW I have the last word... but if I weren't responding to your post... would I still have it? Did the chicken or the egg come first? :P

[quote="mdrummer5, post:7, topic:225717"]
Now you've done it... I'm going to sit back and wait for some fanatic to come in here and indicate that playing the game is a sin because being a pagan in a video game can nurture such beliefs in real life. When in reality religion is not at all part of the game unless I missed something lol.

Just you wait... someone out there is thinking it... I can already see it...

"But I'm playing as a glowing, blue standing on two legs alien goat thing"

"A goat is a sign of the devil... SIN!!!"

"But it's a priest"

"Blasphemy!!!"

Better yet...

"My character is undead"

"SIN!!!!"

[/quote]

I'd love to join you in the waiting but unfortunately, I don't play WoW so much. I've only had a little taste of it when someone was kind enough to let me try their account. :o

On the other hand, I doubt you can beat this (though it involves another game called Ragnarok Online). You see there's a certain job class there that my sister has now recently decided on...

"I want to be a Dancer. :3"

"SIN!!!! SIN!!! SIN!!! SIIIIIN!!!! DX"

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:16, topic:225717"]
I'd love to join you in the waiting but unfortunately, I don't play WoW so much. I've only had a little taste of it when someone was kind enough to let me try their account. :o

On the other hand, I doubt you can beat this (though it involves another game called Ragnarok Online). You see there's a certain job class there that my sister has now recently decided on...

"I want to be a Dancer. :3"

"SIN!!!! SIN!!! SIN!!! SIIIIIN!!!! DX"

[/quote]

Ohhhh I can beat that...

Diablo III comes out this year... never mind that the title of the game will be bad enough... Witch Doctor and Wizard will be two of the playable classes.

I can't wait! :D

[quote="mdrummer5, post:17, topic:225717"]
Ohhhh I can beat that...

Diablo III comes out this year... never mind that the title of the game will be bad enough... Witch Doctor and Wizard will be two of the playable classes.

I can't wait! :D

[/quote]

Okay, you win. XD And yeah, I am sooooo saving for a new computer just so I could play that game!! X3 The powers of the Wizard... MMMMM-MMMM!!! DELISH!!! All that power... oh man, I can only quote Hades from Hercules and say:

"BOOM-BADDA-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM!!!"

XD

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:18, topic:225717"]
Okay, you win. XD And yeah, I am sooooo saving for a new computer just so I could play that game!! X3 The powers of the Wizard... MMMMM-MMMM!!! DELISH!!! All that power... oh man, I can only quote Hades *from **Hercules* and say:

"BOOM-BADDA-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM!!!"

XD

[/quote]

SIN!!!!!!!!! :D

Agreed. I just bought a new video card a month or so ago for FFXIV (which sucks) so I'm hoping it will work for it if not I'll definitely be buying a whole new pc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.