Question abtout 'signs' in the skies

I was thinking earlier about the bible verse that mentions us watching out for signs and wonders in the skies…I saw the below link and was wondering if this is the type of thing Jesus was talking about? These did not seem to be any type of craft, (even though the multiple witnesses called them ‘UFOs’), it looks like they were just odd, colorful shapes in the sky…Things like this are happening more and more around the world, now, of course, some are probably mis-identifications, but not all of them are…

ufocasebook.com/2014/multi-colored-unknown-objects-over-austria.html

I know its a tough question, but Im curious what kind of signs he is likely talking about…Is it these kinds of things, like UFOs, strange crafts, or is it more like shooting stars, meteors, natural type things?

If its not these types of things, I wonder what it could be then? Kind of curious Ive seen more than a few ‘UFO’ sightings, where the people see a big cross in the sky, they arent sure if its a craft, or just a shape, still a big cross in the sky is a pretty strange coincidence! (if you believe in coincidences, which I do not).

Thanks for the help and guidance.

Are you familiar with our Lady of Fatima? That certainly was a big event when the sun danced for a crowd of 70,000.

The Lord will give us signs to help encourage Faith and to protect the Church when it seems necessary. One sign that The Lord Jesus had mentioned is the one contained in the approved messages of His Divine Mercy to St. Maria Faustina when Jesus had stated He will put a great sign in the sky for all to see. When this will happen we do not know but it will probably occur when the Church will need it the most.

I gather you are referring to Jesus’ words at Luke 21:25-28:

There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on earth nations will be in dismay, perplexed by the roaring of the sea and the waves. People will die of fright in anticipation of what is coming upon the world, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. But when these signs begin to happen, stand erect and raise your heads because your redemption is at hand.

There are similar texts in Matthew and Mark.

While there is no reason to dismiss actual physical phenomenon visible in the skies, Jesus words are about how people will be* responding to what is happening *around the time of the Parousia or Second Coming.

The text has a primary fulfillment in the destruction of the Second Temple after the Passion and Death of Jesus. There were literal signs in the heavens around the time of Jesus’ death. (Matthew 27:45) According to some astronomers there was an eclipse of the moon that Passover which resulted in a “blood moon” being visible on that night. These events preceded the destruction of Jerusalem and fall of the Second Temple just a few years later when it was destroyed by the invading Roman army in 70 A.D.

These type of celestial events inspired much fear at the time as people were more given to reading them as bad omens in the Hellenistic/Roman world of Jesus’ day. If there are to be celestial events likewise connected to the Parousia they might not be met with the same type of concern due to our so-called more “science-enlightened” minds today.

But the attitude of the people–the fear in contrast with the hope that Christ’s followers will have at time–is the main focus of what Christ is talking about. Whatever the events actually turn out to be, it is not so much physical signs that inspire fear that are important but what we as Christians do when we see how people respond to the arrival of our King and Judge at the end of time. We will not see this as a fear-inspiring thing to be dreaded. On the contrary, we will ‘stand erect and raise our heads because our redemption is at hand.’

It is also possible that the “signs” in the “heavens” refer to events in the world that portend doom for our current world’s institutions, like the governments. The prophet Isaiah often foretold of judgment upon nations by using symbolic language, claiming that signs in the heavens would signal or mean the loss of guidance by these kings for the people and land they governed.–Isaiah 13:10, 11.

It also probably depends on the particular sign people are seeing, like, if a bunch of alien crafts suddenly appear in the skies, I imagine alot of people will be falling over and dying from fear, as they will not know what they are, or their intentions, the same can be said of anything strange in the skies, people today are more inclined to first think of science, but if the sign is ‘scary’ enough, I think people will fall back on their fears, and not give science a second thought.

However the shapes in the link dont appear to be too frightening, they are just dancing around in the sky…but the fact that they are unexplained, and people cannot determine what they are, that alone is scary for some people…Im not really scared by them, as much as Im intrigued…They are clearly not any type of aircraft, or flare, so what could they be? Surely they are not there for our entertainment, so also curious what their agenda may be.

Something like this that science cannot even explain, is kind of frightening.

This reminds me of a press conference some cult called years ago to show a photo one of their members had taken of three strange clouds in the sky. They claimed it meant the end of the world was upon us. Two of the strange clouds were shaped like circles, and one was shaped like a bent stick.

Then one of the reporters asked, “Isn’t that just a skywriting advertisement for the new 007 movie?”

I dont know, maybe its possible in modern times, even if God sent these signs and wonders in the skies, most would not recognize them, or care? lol

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.