Question: B16 reference to LThK Volume 6 page 196, "Lexicon of Theology and the Church"

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI

wrote the following about Abuse scandal :

The crisis of … Catholic morality reached dramatic proportions in … 1989, the “Cologne Declaration”, signed by 15 Catholic professors of theology, … very rapidly grew into an outcry against the Magisterium of the Church and mustered, audibly and visibly, the global protest potential against the expected doctrinal texts of John Paul II

(cf. D. Mieth, Kölner Erklärung, LThK, VI 3, p. 196)

LThK is the German-language “Lexicon of Theology and the Church.”

The second edition was edited by Karl Rahner, AD 1968.

The third edition was edited by Cardinal Walter Kasper, AD 2001.

I believe the reference above is to

LThK ‘s Third edition,

6th volume, Page 196.

Does anyone have access to that document, page ?

Can an English translation be provided ?

Does anyone have more information about Dietmar Mieth, or

Kölner Erklärung?

By the way,

If you search and get a link to sign up for . xeniaplay

You want to avoid that.

It is a Phishing Attack. They do not carry that book

Thanks,

John

Dietmar Meith was a professor of Cathokic Moral Theology at Tübingen.

The Cologne Declaration in 1989 was signed by 220 theologians to draw attention to problems with excessively centralized power in the Vatican.

Meith apparently wrote the article about the Cologne Declaration in the LThK3.

What is it you want to know, beyond the exact context of B XVI’s quote?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

This web page implies Kölner Erklärung was the author of the 1989 document. Although Mieth did sign it at a later time.

Mieth did have a role in the 20th anniversary of that document. He was a signer of a document in 2011.

After which a student of his says that he was one of the “Initiators” of the Cologne statement, but by this time there were at least two Statements.

By the way, I was able to confirm that B16’s reference was to the 3rd edition, 6th Volume, page 196, AD 1997

Although the 3rd edition was not finished until 2001 it was started in AD 1993

I just wanted an exact quote if possible B16’s reference.

They were demanding that they could teach what they believed, and call it Catholicism without Rome having any control in that matter.

Going back to the 2011 document, It called for the theologians to have some authority in the choice of new Bishops, married priests, women in ministry, and acceptance of “same-sex partnerships” among other things.

Some of the signers of the 1989 document rejected the Virgin Birth of Jesus Christ.

There is a strong push in Germany where faithful orthodox Catholics are labeled as “Fundamentalist.”

They reject anything which cannot be proven while using their version of the Historical Critical Method. The reject all miracles .
Which means -
to quote from the web page I linked to above -
they reject the following :

“Features of classical fundamentalism

Many movements have emerged in America on the basis of fundamentalism, seeking:

1. the absolute infallibility of Scripture,

2. the virgin conception and birth of Jesus,

3. the physical resurrection,

4. the return of Christ to judgment, and …

Furthermore, fundamentalists are fighting against all who relativize certain biblical teachings, against the historical-critical method of interpreting the Bible, against reducing Jesus Christ to the human level …”

End Quote.

John

Kölner Erklarung is German for Cologne Declaration. It did not write itself.

Meith wrote the article in LThK about the Cologne Declaration. He is 78 now, likely at about the peak of his career in 1989.

That is how some people see it. Others say they were demanding fidelity to what they believe and against efforts to appoint partisan bishops, eg in Cologne, who would overturn the teaching from Vatican 2. They are probably all wrong.

Fundamentalism has multiple meanings. The website is using a common trick, confusing historical American Fundamentalism with fundamentalism as an antimodern paranoia that is found in many religions. This 3 card monte type of game makes me a little suspicious of the site, like they do not really want to clarify things. But I did not spend much time looking at it.

Thank you for the correction.

I will remember you in my Rosary prayer tonight.

That website promotes what I do not believe. Although, it does seem to list who signed the document, and when.

Your reference brought back a good memory about my decease father.

Shell game

“The mark, or victim, has no chance whatsoever of winning, at any point in the game.”

A traveling circus was presenting the cup version of this game in my Father’s town. This upset him to see his neighbors being cheated out of their money.
He knew it was a scam. The “winning” charm was not under any of the 3 cups.
So, with both hands at his chin he moved his face just above the cups back and forth as he was deciding which to choose.

This blocked con artist from having immediate access to cups.

Then he said, “I choose the middle cup.”
And, as he pronounced “cup” he used both hands to turn right-side-up the 2 outer cups.

He knew it was not under the middle cup, but the swindler was not able to show that without revealing that he was a con.
So, my Dad won.
And, he told the rest not to play anymore, but they left anyway since they knew they had been beaten at their own game. Something you usually cannot do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.