Question, Born Evil

When I was in high school, I went to a private Christian school. I’m not sure what…type?..of Christian, but I know I never agreed with them…

Anyways…One of the teachers there was watching the class I was in…and he was debating with a few of us that humans are born pure evil. That babies are evil. And he said the first thing a toddler tries to do is to lie…ect.

How could he even come up with such an idea and believe in it so strongly?

How would one respond to that?

I’ve always thought about this incident…

Some people are wacky. There’s a Flat Earth Society that claims about 1500 members worldwide. Some believe that we never actually went to the moon. People can, and do, believe whatever their little hearts desire regardless of logic or evidence. This is just an example of that. And, generally, when someone comes up with such a wonky idea, there is no good response. Nod, smile, and walk away.

They’re clearly from a Calvinist/evangelical type group.

Basically they twist the Catholic doctrine of Original sin (which teaches that all are born separate from God and inclined to evil, but capable of good acts through the grace of God, but not the extent of being able to earn salvation; this original sin itself being removed in baptism but sadly the being led to sin still exists in some form) into the doctrine of total depravity, which teaches that every act by someone that’s not their particular brand of Christian is automatically sinful however good it may be

Sadly this belief is not a minority fringe belief but one many people at least theoretically believe, usually the same ones that believe that once they become Christian they can never stop being one

You can respond with Jesus’ words:

“but Jesus said, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”” (Matthew 19:14)

Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God **like a child **shall not enter it.” (Mark 10:15)

If human babies are born pure evil (as that teacher claims) then Jesus would not have said such good things about children!

thanks everyone :slight_smile:

I just couldn’t wrap my mind around it

All children are born with original sin, and even if they are baptized as infants, the concupiscence (evil desires) that result from OS remain.

Once upon a time a couple of decades ago I was debating an atheist co-worker (she had been raised Catholic, but had fallen away when her parish priest was caught in an affair) about this topic. She thought all people were born basically good. I asked her to think back on her background (she had taught nursery school), and said, “Carol, you tell me from your experience what a room full of 5-year-olds is like.”

She thought for a minute, and her eyes got big, and she said, “David, they are sons of b*****s!”

That was the end of that debate.

DaveBj

This has always been interesting to me. Jesus speaks so lovingly of children. I think it’s their general innocence. But the Church (at least in the past) has taught that innocent children who are not baptized by their parents are punished with eternal fire. This is something which has never been adequately explained to me.

Hmmm I don’t know about the room full of 5 year olds part is…a 5 year old will have the effect of good or bad parenting on them…
and children as well as people act differently when in a group then when alone or with family…not usually in a bad way…but get more hyper I guess…
Babies on there other hand…are babies…

we are all born with original sin. But we are also created in God’s image.So how can there be evil in that? We have the freedom to choose. If we were all born evil…Wouldn’t we all go to hell and want to choose hell?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding. :shrug:

Without the grace of God then yes

All people are born with inherited sin from Adam. Babies are born into humanity so obviously . . . Babies sin. But just as Adam and Eve didn't know they were naked, babies are pure at heart. Maybe not in there actions, but in there heart.

All people sin but that doesn't mean we're pure EVIL, just that were human.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.