Question for 7th day Adventist

Do Adventists truely believe that the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon? The Pope is the antichrist?

If so is it a majority of them or minority? My sister in law is an Adventist and she has never sais any of these things to me.

catholic.com/library/Seventh_Day_Adventism.asp

Seventh-Day Adventists agree with many Catholic doctrines, including the Trinity, Christ’s divinity, the virgin birth, the atonement, a physical resurrection of the dead, and Christ’s Second Coming. They use a valid form of baptism. They believe in original sin and reject the Evangelical teaching that one can never lose one’s salvation no matter what one does (i.e., they correctly reject “once saved, always saved”).

Unfortunately, they also hold many false and strange doctrines. Among these are the following: (a) the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon; (b) the pope is the Antichrist; © in the last days, Sunday worship will be “the mark of the beast”; (d) there is a future millennium in which the devil will roam the earth while Christians are with Christ in heaven; (e) the soul sleeps between death and resurrection; and (f) on the last day, after a limited period of punishment in hell, the wicked will be annihilated and cease to exist rather than be eternally damned. (For rebuttals of many of these ideas, see the Catholic Answers tracts, The Antichrist, The Hell There Is, Hunting the Whore of Babylon, The Whore of Babylon, and Sabbath or Sunday?)

Hi lorathon,

I am a former SDA convert to Catholicism (In R.C.I.A. currently).

I would safely say that the majority of SDAs, if not all, truely believe what you have stated above.

Your sister-in-law most likely has never said anything about that to you for obvious reasons. I married a Catholic woman while I was a SDA. When confronted by some of her famiily about the very same issues, I avoided providing direct answers, even though I believed those things.

Ellen Gould White, who is considered a prophet by SDAs wrote extensively on this subject. See the links to the Great Controversy, a book she wrote, within the link below from a post of mine from another thread. I linked to three chapters of her book that lay it out very clearly.

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=4525576&postcount=274

This is one of the major writings that most SDAs read and study.

This is the official SDA position on Ellen G. White, taken from their brief summary of fundamental beliefs listed on their official website adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html
…notice they consider her writings “authoritative”:

*"18. The Gift of Prophecy:
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White . As the Lord’s messenger, her writings are a continuing and **authoritative source of truth *which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)"

God bless all!!!

Ellen Gould White, who is considered a prophet by SDAs wrote extensively on this subject. See the links to the Great Controversy, a book she wrote, within the link below from a post of mine from another thread. I linked to three chapters of her book that lay it out very clearly.**

**In the concordance of the ravings of Ellen G. White, there are pages of references to that nasty ole Catlik Church, but nothing whatsoever about Orthodoxy or any of the Eastern Churches (in our out of union with Rome).

Could it be that this prophet simply didn’t know about the Eastern Churches because they didn’t exist in 19th century New England, where she flourished?

Once upon a time I pointed out a few things from Eastern Church history to a lifetime SDA, and he replied, “If what you’re saying is true, what does this do to the Adventist interpretation of Bible prophecy?”

“You are the one who asked the question,” I replied. “I challenge you to verify these facts for yourself. You can find out in secular encyclopedias. If if you find that what I’m saying is true, are you willing to re-evaluate [note I didn’t say reject] the Adventist interpretation of Bible prophecy?”

He thought a minute and said, “No.”

In other words, don’t confuse him with facts. His mind is mde up.**

The last SDA website that I looked at said that while the Church is respected, they cannot deny the prophetic words in scripture.

Jeff,
I was an Adventist for 30 years…yes Adventist’s believe that the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon and that the papacy is the fulfillment of the beast spoken of in Revelation. This is mainstream Adventist teaching, it is not minority or fringe by any means.

They also believe at the end of time that Catholics will spearhead a large alliance of protestant and political forces to persecute those who worship on Saturday, to the point of death.

Brandon

They also believe at the end of time that Catholics will spearhead a large alliance of protestant and political forces to persecute those who worship on Saturday, to the point of death.

**Oh, yes.

Don’t forget that EGW said that the Second Beast of Rev 13, the False Prophet, is the USA government with its nasty Sunday blue laws that force people to work on Saturday.

She certainly was insular in her viewpoint, wasn’t she?**

With unemployment spiraling out of control, where will we find enough jobs to force everyone to work on Saturday? This may be a great help to economy if we step up and identify the methods for achieving the enforced work on Saturday. Or would these jobs be reserved for previous Saturday observers only? Never mind, let’s identify the jobs now and worry about forcing Saturday work later.

You will most likely find your answers by reading Revelations. Especially Chapter 13 and 14.

hello SDA2RC
i got to thinking… what kind of church… A REAL ONE… THAT FOLLOWS JESUS AND HIS TEACHINGS… would ever say anything like that? about, not just anyone, but of another religion!!! your not supposed to attack others… even if you believe theyre in the wrong. they should try to prove their beliefs instead of being too busy trashing the roman catholic church. but i guess they just try to make us seem like the bad guys?? gosh… what the world has come to…

Wow, is the end of time when hell freezes over?

I enjoy contemplating an alliance of protestant and political forces spearheaded by Catholics. Talk about strange bedfellows!:rolleyes:

Hello,

I’m not a Seventh-Day Adventist, but I’ve been attending an SDA church for over 4 months. I’ve been blessed in many ways by this church. I agree with the accuracy of comments made in this thread.

There are progressive elements in the church that are trying to shift opinion on this belief and several other doctrines. You have to realize it takes a long time to change hearts and minds. It will probably take more than a generation’s time. Who knows, perhaps a split in the church will arise.

Allowing Christ to reflect His character through you will provide a powerful testimony. Pray for the SDA church. Pray for me. There are good souls worth fighting for; many SDA members are very dear to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.