Question for ALL religious vocation discerners/members

So today at mass I had thought, I have never ever read any statistics on the average it takes people to discern and apply.

I feel that I have taken longer than most but for good reason there have been many hurdles, and I haven’t even applied yet haha

So my poll question is:

How long has it taken you to discern a religious life/priesthood? Include time from first thought seriously considered ie the beginning you seriously considered it a viable vocation option to the time you began the application process.

Id also like to know what you think is average

0-6 mnts
6mnts-1.5years
1.5-2years
2-3years
3-4.5years
4.5-6years
6+years

I have a strong feeling of vocation, most likely a Franciscan vocation.
Ive been feeling this way for a few months and Im deffinitley gonna pursue it as soon as I am in full communion With the Church (Converting at easter).
Talking With the monastry before that seems pointless so I`ll just have to let time pass by for now.

I think you should have included anathor option to your poll that states : Still thinking of it, or something like that.

God Bless!

I am in the middle of the application process to a religious order…so, if I am accepted, my overall vocation discernment time before novitiate will have been about 2.5 years :thumbsup:

I’ve been in the vocation promotion/support/facilitation apostolate for 25 years now, and on the average, its taken close to 7 years. One young lady we supported took 10 years, but that included several years of educational debt retirement.

The sooner one finds one’s spirituality, the faster you’ll be able to land the right place.

Vocational discernment is a trust walk with the Lord. Sometimes He lets you see where He’s leading you, other times, complete darkness. Our Lady’s rosary and her graces will speed things along, though, so don’t neglect that. Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, as well.

Blessings,
Cloisters

God willing I hope to join the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) as a priest. But it will take me some years because I have to get a degree, and maybe work on a masters, because God calls a ton of Jesuits who are well educated before becoming novices, some have PhD s before entering.

I answered 0-6 months, as I am still discerning, and I had been considering a vocation to the Sisterhood from early April until mid May, and since mid May, I have been actively discerning the best I can, as I am not able to see a Catholic Priest at the moment.

You asked what we think if average upon discerning a vocation. I would definitely say to discern for at least 3 - 4 years, and in that time, really think about if it is really what you want to do, and contact orders you are interested in.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.