Question for Bible Christians

Bible Christians believe the Bible is the Word of God. I’ve heard that claim many times. However, the Bible says it isn’t the Word of God.

1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2: The same was in the beginning with God. 3: All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4: In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5: And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. 6: There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7: The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. 8: He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9: That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. 10: He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11: He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12: But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14: And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (John 1:1-14)

The Bible is clear that it is Jesus who is the Word of God. John clearly states that the Word was God and the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.

**My question is this: Since the Bible clearly states Jesus is the Word of God, how can the Bible be the Word of God? **

The Bible is the Word of God, per the CCC:

**135 **“The Sacred Scriptures contain the Word of God and, because they are inspired, they are truly the Word of God” (DV 24).

Jesus is also the Word of God per John, and the CCC also explains this:

**1100 **The Word of God. The Holy Spirit first recalls the meaning of the salvation event to the liturgical assembly by giving life to the Word of God, which is proclaimed so that it may be received and lived.

[quote=awalt]The Bible is the Word of God, per the CCC:

**135 **“The Sacred Scriptures contain the Word of God and, because they are inspired, they are truly the Word of God” (DV 24).

Jesus is also the Word of God per John, and the CCC also explains this:

**1100 **The Word of God. The Holy Spirit first recalls the meaning of the salvation event to the liturgical assembly by giving life to the Word of God, which is proclaimed so that it may be received and lived.
[/quote]

I am directing this question at Bible Christians for a reason. I’m not stating the beliefs of the Catholic Church, which are my beliefs. I want Bible Christians to tell me how the Bible can be the Word of God when the Bible says Jesus is the Word of God.

Let me know if you get a bible christian to respond. It could get quite interesting.

Thal59

I don’t think anyone would disagree that they are both the Word of God.

[quote=michaelgazin]I don’t think anyone would disagree that they are both the Word of God.
[/quote]

I want Bible Christians to explain how both can be the Word of God, especially when the Bible says Jesus is the Word of God.

I’m trying to find out what they believe and possibly prove a point. I appreciate everyone’s responses so far, but I’m looking specifically for Bible Christians to answer this question.

Catholics DO believe that the Bible is the Word of God. The Bible, however, is the *written *Word of God. Jesus is the incarnate word of God. The difference between Catholics and “Bible Christians” is that they believe in “sola scriptura” (bible only), which means they think that all of their teachings must be traced straight from the Bible. However, there is no guide to interpret it for them, which is why there are so many Protestant denominations. We, the Catholics, believe that the Bible forms a part of the deposit of faith, but it does not stand alone–we also subscribe to the tradition of the apostles, and the Church’s Magesterium (teaching authority) as our guide, since Jesus gave us the Church as our guide. (1 Cor 11:2; 2 Thess 2:15; 2 Thess 3:6; John 21:25).
To suggest to them that Catholics don’t believe is the word of God would be a huge mistake, and would be detrimental to your efforts to evangelize.

The entire point of this question was to expose the either/or dichotomy Protestants use when it comes to Catholic beliefs, such as Peter not being the rock because Christ is the rock and the Apostles not having the power to forgive sins because only Christ can forgive sins. I wasn’t looking for Catholics to respond, which is why I directed the question to Bible Christians.

Since the only ones responding are Catholics, I would ask the moderators to close this thread.

[quote=Anima Christi]Catholics DO believe that the Bible is the Word of God. The Bible, however, is the *written *Word of God. Jesus is the incarnate word of God. The difference between Catholics and “Bible Christians” is that they believe in “sola scriptura” (bible only), which means they think that all of their teachings must be traced straight from the Bible. However, there is no guide to interpret it for them, which is why there are so many Protestant denominations. We, the Catholics, believe that the Bible forms a part of the deposit of faith, but it does not stand alone–we also subscribe to the tradition of the apostles, and the Church’s Magesterium (teaching authority) as our guide, since Jesus gave us the Church as our guide. (1 Cor 11:2; 2 Thess 2:15; 2 Thess 3:6; John 21:25).
To suggest to them that Catholics don’t believe is the word of God would be a huge mistake, and would be detrimental to your efforts to evangelize.
[/quote]

I’m looking for Bible Christians to state what they believe. This has nothing to do with Catholic beliefs. I did not say this is what Catholics believe, I was trying to find out what Bible Christians believe. If they believe Christ and the Bible are both the Word of God, then why aren’t they applying an either/or dichotomy to this belief as they do to other beliefs.

Since the purpose of this thread has been defeated, I hope it will be closed.

Darn Catholics are frustrating you by answering the question correctly! I understand your point in trying to illuminate the either or mentality. Sorry we are messing it up.

Maybe we need to invite more Bible Christians here as most of the ones here are starting to convert, and those that aren’t are very sparse.

Scylla

They are both the Word of God, however Jesus has ascended into Heaven, therefore, the only Word of God we have on Earth is found in the Bible. :smiley:

While there are certainly non-Catholics on this forum, you may get er, more “interest” :whacky: in replying from a Protestant forum somewhere…

Swiss Guard, don’t despair. I think I understand - the point is targeted at the “bible alone” mentality - NOT that the bible is not the word of God. We all agree that both Jesus and the bible are the word of God. But…obvious as it is that “the Word was made flesh”, if non-Catholics don’t want to hear it, they won’t hear it.

I tried to use the same passage once in defense of the Eucharist. No matter what you do, the non-Catholic is going to turn away from whatever point you are trying to make.

It’ll be interesting to see the responses.

I’m going to PM the mods and ask them to close this thread.

Next time I start a thread for Bible Christians I’m going to have to find a way to keep out the Catholics. I thought the fact the name of the thread is “A Question for Bible Christians” would have been a big hint that I was looking for Bible Christians to answer this question and not Catholics.

FYI - When a thread addresses a specific group of people and you’re not part of that group, don’t respond to it.

Shame on you for tring to trick ’ Bible Christians '. I see your plan has backfired. tisk tisk.

Basically (as a ‘Bible Christian’ )I would agree with the anwsers provided here in the forum as would most of my friends - maybe all of them.

[quote=UBERROGO]Shame on you for tring to trick ’ Bible Christians '. I see your plan has backfired. tisk tisk.

Basically (as a ‘Bible Christian’ )I would agree with the anwsers provided here in the forum as would most of my friends - maybe all of them.
[/quote]

My follow up question is this: Why are you not applying the either/or dichotomy to John 1:1-14 that you apply Matthew 16:13-19 and John 20:21-23?

I’ve heard many times Bible Christians say Peter cannot be the rock because Christ is the rock. I’ve also heard only Christ can forgive sins therefore the Apostles can’t forgive sins.

Since Bible Christians apply the either/or dichotomy to those passages, why are you not applying it to this one? It seems very inconsistent to not apply it to John 1:1-14 but then apply it elsewhere.

The difference is, is that the scriptures are the WRITTEN word of God, while the Word or Logos that John spoke of in his gospel is the “spokesman” of God. He was and is God’s living mouthpiece.What God, thinks and what God says to man is the Word of God.

Who we now know as Jesus, BEFORE he became man, was not always a man, but was God and the divine Word within God. Divinity is a great mystery that is really beyond our comprehension.

[quote=piety101]The difference is, is that the scriptures are the WRITTEN word of God, while the Word or Logos that John spoke of in his gospel is the “spokesman” of God. He was and is God’s living mouthpiece.What God, thinks and what God says to man is the Word of God.

Who we now know as Jesus, BEFORE he became man, was not always a man, but was God and the divine Word within God. Divinity is a great mystery that is really beyond our comprehension.
[/quote]

Next time I start a thread for Bible Christians I’m going to have to find a way to keep out the Catholics. I thought the fact the name of the thread is “A Question for Bible Christians” would have been a big hint that I was looking for Bible Christians to answer this question and not Catholics.

FYI - When a thread addresses a specific group of people and you’re not part of that group, don’t respond to it.
Again, I ask Catholics to please refrain from responding to this thread. I am specifically looking for Bible Christians.

I don’t mean to be rude, but I already know the Catholic Church’s interpretation of this passage and I don’t care to hear the Catholic response.

There is a reason I specifically asked Bible Christians. Please respect my reason. Thank you.

Huh? You say you only want an answer from bible Christians and not Catholics? Swiss, this is a mainline Catholic forum. And we ARE bible Christians. Where are you coming from? You don’t make sense in your post at all.

[quote=Swiss Guard]My follow up question is this: Why are you not applying the either/or dichotomy to John 1:1-14 that you apply Matthew 16:13-19 and John 20:21-23?

I’ve heard many times Bible Christians say Peter cannot be the rock because Christ is the rock. I’ve also heard only Christ can forgive sins therefore the Apostles can’t forgive sins.

Since Bible Christians apply the either/or dichotomy to those passages, why are you not applying it to this one? It seems very inconsistent to not apply it to John 1:1-14 but then apply it elsewhere.
[/quote]

Please be more specific as I do not know what you are talking about. What is the either/or dichotomy? And what exactly is the difference between the result that you percieve that I would get and the result you think I should get?

And how did I know that this was a loaded question?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.