Question for Calvary Chapel Members

I was just speaking with a friend who belongs to Calvary Chapel. We were discussing healing and I said I was taking my daughter to a priest to be prayed for, for healing.

She said she didn’t believe that anyone could pray over someone to be healed. Is this taught in this denomination?

I have friends who are fundamentalist and they believe that certain people are given the gift from God to heal others.

I was just curious. I know that many churches do believe in God using people as instruments of healing. The Bible says there are many gifts given to people, people have different gifts. I guess I thought that most Christians believed this.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

Not surprised, there is much they do not understand, like many Fundamentalist groups.
My experience with them is that while they are sincere and well-intentioned, they are also seriously mis-informed about the RCC and what it teaches. That sometimes leads them to promote half-truths and and outright fallacies about the Church.
Nothing new there, welcome to the world. :o

:shrug:
I would say it’s not “the Priest” or the Benny Hinn saying the prayer which results in spiritual healing. General The Calvary Chapels believe in the spiritual gifts with a little less emphasis on it then Pentecostals. That is my impression of them

I am not clear what you mean by “healing” but I go to Calvary Chapel and we often pray for eachother and with eachother for a certain reason (which might include illness) and God has answered many prayers as is promised in the bible.

“And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”
James 5:15-16 (NIV)

My friend said that she didn’t believe that God works through specific people with the gift of healing. Of course it is God who does the healing, but He is using a particular person to obtain the healing.

I suppose she believes in praying for others, but rejects that God can use a person as an instrument in healing another.

God Bless

Bernadette

hi 4squarebaby. thats my understanding of them as well. i thought they did believe in intercessory prayer and healing, as well as toungues. it always struck me as somewhat as a reformed pentacostal church. with less emphasis on the gifts, and more emphasis on the word. would this be a correct take on this church? thanx. peace :slight_smile:

I’m curious too, since my parents joined a Calvary Chapel last year after 17 years in the Christian and Missionary Alliance. The CMA definitely does believe in healing/anointing.

So, I checked on the Calvary Chapel website . . .

calvarychapel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=37

The “What We Believe” is really vague, and it says to check the book “Calvary Chapel Distinctives” for more info. Only you actually have to buy the book . . .

It’s not like the Catechism, I guess. :frowning:

I think most at CC would assume that direct prayer to God would be sufficient therefore going to a Priest would be an extra unnecessary step. I think some who have close relationships with their pastors would go to them and ask for their prayers for healing of loved ones but this would be the exception. Most at CC have a anti authority mentality and see the episcopate more as an obstacle to God than a structure that evolved under the guidance of the HS. If i am misrepresenting CC i do apologize. I have many friends that are members.

Calvary Chapel Distinctives are available online as both a pdf and online version. Here are the links

calvarychapelofhope.org/library/smith-chuck/books/ccd/00_intro.htm

ccfluvanna.com/Files/calvary-chapel-distinctives-chuck-smith.pdf

Thank you! I’m surprised the main site sends you to an order form, instead of one of these. I’m interested to read up on this more.

imjustme, you are leaving out an important part of this chapter right before the verses you cited. James 5:13-14 from the NIV.

13Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. 14Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.

The Greek word used for elders in this verse was, “presbyter”, or priest. We certainly can pray for one another, and we should, but this verse is important, because it ties in with Christ giving the disciples the ability to forgive and retain sins in John 20:21-22. This is the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Sorry about going off subject but i am wondering in your opinion as a CC member do most of those you know at CC view the Catholic Church as being Bible oriented? The reason I ask is because I have some friends that attend CC and they seem to think that Catholics are not bible believing Christians. Do you think this is common or more or less an exception with the people i have talked with.

sorry i should of read your links first before posting the previous message. I found Calvary Chapel founder Chuck Smith stating

1. God’s Model For The Church
    “Upon this rock I will build my church…”
    Matthew 16:18

"In Calvary Chapel we look to the book of Acts as the model for the church. We believe that church history, for the most part, has been a sad and tragic story of failure. Many horrible things have been done in the name of Jesus Christ under the banner of the church.

When I went to college I had a very difficult time because when the professors found out I was a Christian, they would start bringing up issues of church history that I was all too familiar with. My only response was, “Look, don’t judge Christianity by the imperfect examples that we have seen in history. Judge it by Jesus Christ. Let’s go back to what He said and what He taught. He taught, ‘blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.’ Do you have a problem with that? He taught that we should love one another. Do you have a problem with that? He taught that it is more blessed to give than to receive. Do you have a problem with that?” When you talk about the basic teachings of Jesus, even skeptics have to confess that they don’t have a problem. What they do have is a problem with people who have claimed to be Christians and the things they have done in the name of Christ.

In the book of Revelation, Jesus was addressing the problems of the seven churches of Asia. Even at this early date, Jesus was calling the churches to repent. He pointed out the flaws that existed, the false doctrines that had crept in, and the practices that were already sowing seeds of decay within the church. For the most part, the church had failed by the end of the first century. Gnosticism and Aryanism had begun to creep in. The development of a priesthood and the establishment of church organization started early on in the history of the church. In the book of Revelation, Jesus expressed His displeasure with all these things in His letters to the churches.
Now this was less than sixty years after the church was first founded. So it didn’t take long to become so corrupt and lukewarm that the Lord was ready to spew it out of His mouth. It was nauseating to Him. As I look at church history, I don’t think that things have improved. **The church has only deteriorated even further. The things that the Lord spoke about to the seven churches are things that He could very well say to the church today".

This sounds like Chuck Smith, the founder of CC is convinced that the Catholic Church was corrupt by the end of the first century!!:eek:

Sure sounds that way !
Does Chuck think that God the Father did not hear the prayer and statement of His SON:
“You are Peter, the rock, and upon you I will build My Church. The gates of hell shall not prevail against it”.

Amazing the amount of scripture that the “Bible Churches” choose to ignore !

So Chuck started his church in 1964 (or was it 1968 ?), lets see where it is in 2000 years !

This type of position that the Catholic Church was mostly corrupt by the end of the 1st century is untenable in my opinion if one accepts the NT canon. Supposedly the Church got it right on the canon issue but was corrupt and wrong on everything else. Most Protestants dont hold to such a view however the ones that do apparently calvary chapel claims they have returned to “New Testament” Chrisitianity without all the “corrupt” human tradition and legalities of the Catholic Church. Any superficial Church history review will easlily open up a can of worms for anyone trying to defend this position. Most of my friends that I know who attend CC are very devout Christians who have many misconceptions about the Catholic Church and unfortunately have bitten hook line and sinker misinformation that is so prevalent in Evangelical circles.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.