Question For Couples Using or Who Have Used NFP

My wife and I are looking in to using this, because I don't want to use this beautiful act to seperate our love from God. I am currently researching it and have one big question which I can't seem to find the answer to. How long do you have to abstain before you can begin using this? We have vowed to never use contraceptives again...but will we have to go a full cycle before we can...well you know...start trying the method?

I just wanted to say how happy I am to hear that you are entrusting your fertility and marital embraces to God. What a beautiful thing to do. :heaven:

We are actually infertile, so we never had to wait a cycle to figure things out. But I know there's many on here who have and I am sure they'll be posting soon. ;)

Best wishes for you and your wife! :)

That's really up to you on what you feel you can "risk", what your wife's cycles are like, what method of birth control you are coming off of (ie, if you are using hormonal birth control may add confusion in the first couple months due to residual hormones in her body), and what method you plan on using.... so there are a lot of factors...

Any details on your situation may help us answer questions... also, your NFP instructor should be able to help you on the details!

Thank you for your replies. Yes we felt like it was time to trust God in all areas of our lives, not just the ones that seemed convenient. My wife has been off of birth control for a couple of months. We just decided to do this a couple of days ago, so we’re still learning a lot about it. Through your own experiences does anyone have any suggestions for methods?

[quote="TheChosenOne, post:4, topic:202034"]
Thank you for your replies. Yes we felt like it was time to trust God in all areas of our lives, not just the ones that seemed convenient. My wife has been off of birth control for a couple of months. We just decided to do this a couple of days ago, so we're still learning a lot about it. Through your own experiences does anyone have any suggestions for methods?

[/quote]

I have personally used the sympto-thermal method for spacing our children over the 9 1/2 years (so far) of our marriage...
We learned it through a diocesan class, but then I also picked up several other resources to add to my knowledge base. Here are some good sympto-thermal resources:
nfpandmore.com/
ccli.org/
tcoyf.com/ - This book is a fabulous medical resource, but outlines more of the "Fertility Awareness Method", which allows for the use of condoms during the fertile phase... obviously NOT a "Catholic" resource, but if you do ignore those parts about using condoms you'll find it to be extremely helpful in the medical detail it gives about tracking your cycle. Identical tracking method to the sympto-thermal method of NFP.

There are several other methods out there... no one is better than another in and of itself... just really what works for you. If you aren't comfortable with the method you learn, try another. Here are a few other methods you may want to research:
Creighton (I've heard fabulous things about this method!)
Marquette (Includes using a fertility monitor device)
Billings

Hope that helps a little!!

When I took the Creighton class it was recommended that my husband and I abstain for a month so that I could observe my cervical fluid signs without interference from sperminal fluid as the two can be confused. However, the instructor also said that Creighton could be learned while a couple has intercourse it just may be harder to differentiate between fertile and non-fertile signs so the likelihood of pregnancy could be greater. If you and your wife are TTA (Trying to Avoid) I would recommend the month abstinence so that she can learn her signs without confusion. If you and your wife are TTC (Trying to Conceive) or are at a point where getting pregnant wouldn't be a problem then the month abstinence could be waived.

As I recall, the minimum abstinence during the first month runs from the first day of her period until she is clearly past the fertile time by the most conservative measures.

During the abstaining time, continue to show affection in less physical ways.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.