Question for Jews/Muslims: Is Alcohol prohibited by God

I’ve heard that in Judaism wine can be drunk but in Islam forbidden. Please educate me when and how God ruled on this. This is not a trick question. Just wondering is all. Please refer to your Scriptures how this works. Thanks in advance.

God bless

MJ

God never prohibited alcohol. Wine is one of the most important things in Jewish rituals as it was in Temple rituals. Nevertheless, you can find several sources, especially in Proverbs, warning strongly against the abuse of alcohol. It’s not supposed to be used to get drunk.

If I understand correctly, according to Muslims it’s Mohammed who “revealed” for the first time that God changed his mind (yes, according to them that’s ok, because God can do anything, including change his mind…) and prohibited alcohol.

Pax Christi!

Somewhere I heard that in the Koran it warns not to “drink too much wine”, or some such. So, again, don’t overdo it.

It would be great to hear from someone who knows what Islam really teaches.

Watching and waiting…

God bless.

Alcohol has not always been unlawful. It became unlawful as soon as the relevant revelation came to Muhammad. The Qur’an says, in surah 2:219 “They ask you about wine and gambling. Say: 'In them is great sin and [yet, some] benefit for people. But their sin is greater than their benefit” The arabic word being translated as ‘wine’ is ‘khamr’ and it refers to the fermented juice of grapes (but I doubt any serious exegete would limit that to wine alone, so as to infer that something like moonshine is permissible).

Another text that is relevant is surah 5:90-91, which says “O you who have believed, indeed, intoxicants, gambling, [sacrificing on] stone alters [to other than Allah ], and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful. Satan only wants to cause between you animosity and hatred through intoxicants and gambling and to avert you from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. So will you not desist?”. In other words, Satan did not invent alcohol, but he tries to use alcohol and/or gambling as a means to lead people astray.

So yeah, that’s the Islamic perspective of it.

Wine was forbidden for those who took the Nazarite vow in Numbers 6:1–21…

See:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazirite

Thank you. So Ive heard right. :smiley:

Then again Ive always had the impression Judaism and Islam were very similar due to the Old Testament and forgot about the the offering of the Priest Melchizedek. So, it is not a prohibition and therefore, even in Catholicism alcoholic beverages are also not forbidden but to be taken in moderation if one wants.

Odd enough, certain Protestants sects insist Jesus never took wine and therefore, it should not be acceptable therefore, forbidden. Thus I get confused. :stuck_out_tongue:

MJ

Thank you Drac. You’ve made it quite clear and appreciate your explanation. Very Interesting.

MJ

For Drac:

I’m are aware about the drinking of alcohol under Islam, but can you point out to me where it is written that **one cannot touch a cup/glass/bottle **containing such.

Thanks much!

I don’t recall a verse of the Qur’an saying that :hmmm:. I know of a few that could be indicators, though.

“…and cooperate in righteousness and piety, but do not cooperate in sin and aggression. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is severe in penalty.” (surah 5:2)

“…and whoever fears Allah, Allah will provide for him a way out. And will provide for him from where he does not expect. And whoever relies upon Allah - then He is sufficient for him. Indeed, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Allah has already set for everything a [decreed] extent.” (surah 65:2-3)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.