Question for Kindle owners

I love the Kindle app on my phone and I read quite often. I just got my tax return and I'm wondering if the Kindle is really worth spending the money on.

I'm also torn (assuming I buy it) between the wifi and 3G + wifi version... is the extra $40 really worth the 3G feature when have the restuarants/coffee shops where I live have free wifi and I can download from my pc?

I know it's a fairly unimportant decision I'm just looking for some input before I spend my money.

The kindle is a great reader. I have an iPad with wifi and 3G. I have never needed the 3G and i could have saved $100. Have considered the 16gb iPad2 wifi only. It's great but more expensive than the kindle.

[quote="mhogard, post:2, topic:237132"]
The kindle is a great reader. I have an iPad with wifi and 3G. I have never needed the 3G and i could have saved $100. Have considered the 16gb iPad2 wifi only. It's great but more expensive than the kindle.

[/quote]

I had considered the iPad but aside from being considerably more expensive I just don't think I'd use all the admittedly awesome features of it. The free Kindle app on my phone works great of course but the small screen means having to turn the pages very often disrupting the flow of whatever I'm reading.

Thanks for sharing, think I'll go for the wifi only version :)

Love my Kindle; I have the slightly more expensive version. :thumbsup: It's been worth it for the convenience.

I love my Kindle. I have the wifi version. I personally do not think the 3G is necessary but I have Wifi at home. Even if I didnt have wifi at home I do not think I would have gotten the 3G version. The Kindle holds so many books I have not found a time when I was not home and needed to download a book. As long as you have a back up book on ur kindle in case u finish urs while ur not near a wifi you will be all set.
I would put the extra 40 towards books or a case. The Kindle is a pleasure to read. I do not think the IPad and the Kindle are compatible enough to be in the same niche. The Kindle has electronic ink and can be read in the brightest light and is only an E-Reader. The Ipad has many more functions then the Kindle, but is like reading from a computer screen will glare and is not as easy on the eyes as the kindle or a real book.
Happy Reading :D

Thanks all, picked it up over the weekend and love it! :thumbsup:

I got the 3G version because I don't have WiFi at home. But there are a lot of WiFi hot spots available.

Yes, yes, and more yes!

I don’t think you need more than wi-fi (I’m assuming that’s the same as whispernet, which is what my 2nd generation Kindle uses).

[quote="mdrummer5, post:6, topic:237132"]
Thanks all, picked it up over the weekend and love it! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Which one did you get? (I have the Kindle 3 with the 3G. I love it!) Good reading!

I have the Kindle with WiFi only. Sometimes I do wish I had gotten the 3G version but the only times I would have used it is in the car or when I am at a place with no wifi available. When I was at my sister's house in Feb, I had my usb cord with me so I bought some books, downloaded them onto her computer, transferred them to my kindle visa the usb cord, and then deleted them from her computer (since I didn't know their wifi password).

Unless you plan on downloading books at the beach or riding in your car/vehicle....I would go with the WiFi only version. And unlike the iPad, it doesn't have an LCD screen so you don't have to worry about glare.

A year ago, I was thinking about the Nook...even put aside cash and BN gift cards and by Thanksgiving, I had a Kindle (bought it from my local Best Buy).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.