Question for LITURGISTS! Mass Commons

Elizabeth779, you can find Jubilate Deo by just googling it. Jubilate Deo is a Mass composed of easy chants taken from other existing Gregorian chant Masses. It is by its very nature Latin. It was issued by Pope Paul VI on April 14,1974 for the purpose of promoting a "minimum repertoire of plain chant" among Catholics. If you google it you will find that chants are presented in such a way that you can print them out in a nice little booklet. It is available in both Gregorian and standard modern notation, and it is in the public domain, of course. You can also find it in the Adoremus Hymnal, the St. Michael's Hymnal, and I am sure in many others. It has been a while since I have seen an OCP publication, but If I remember correctly, the Latin Mass chants in their songbook are from Jubilate Deo.

Why is banning or limiting Mass settings any worse or different than banning or limiting other music/hymnody? In principle there is nothing wrong with it, since there are some very horrible compositions out there. However, if you are being required to use poor music, my first question would be, what are the settings you are allowed to use?

If they're all truly awful, use an easy, simple Gregorian setting. Or use a plainchant vernacular setting, which I'm sure would be approved if you asked, if one isn't already. After all, I can't imagine Rome upholding a decision to exclude Gregorian chant from Mass...

[quote="liturgyluver, post:15, topic:326718"]
It is a pity that you know so little about the history of the Church. If you did, you would know that congregational mass settings go back centuries. It's also worth reading Papal statements on music in the liturgy.

[/quote]

I'm not a priest - it is not my job to know such nuance. But I wouldn't question my knowledge of church history, because I feel that it is pretty good. The order of priests who say mass at my church preach almost exclusively about three things: the sacraments, church teachings, and the heroic lives of the saints.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:22, topic:326718"]
Why is banning or limiting Mass settings any worse or different than banning or limiting other music/hymnody?

[/quote]

Something for the OP to consider is that not all Mass Settings are correctly done. Some composers have in the past (many, actually) taken liberty with the words. It may be that the bishop wants to be sure that this is not done. Giving an approved list is one way to do that.

[quote="Elizabeth779, post:20, topic:326718"]
I'm interested in the Jubilate Dei and its English translation. Do you know where I can obtain that PNewton? thanks.

[/quote]

The first poster corrected my spelling. It is Deo.

Here is the Latin.

adoremus.org/JubilateDeo.html

I will look up the English later.

[quote="Reborn2013, post:10, topic:326718"]
Never heard or a so-called "mass setting" until this morning. But I just googled it. [edited]

[/quote]

Anyone who was familiar with the music the Church had before V2 would know there is a plethora of Mass settings out there. Hardly something new.

[quote="vindicated, post:16, topic:326718"]
My question was directed toward other LITURGISTS. What is a "pity," is the lack of kindness and condescending attitudes from so many so-called CATHOLIC posters on this forum. We DO know the history of the Church and are well aware of Papal statements on liturgy. I find your remark offensive, and prefer that you not make any "assumptions" about what we do or do not know. It is also likely that my husband was playing for Mass before you were even born. Furthermore, for your info, he is a latinist and also plays a TLM every Sunday

[/quote]

Sorry, but the comment was not directed to you. YOU may know all of that; but the person liturgyluver replied to appears to not have that knowledge base.

Thank you PNewton and Maryann.....I'll check that out. Currently using the Breaking Bread.....so it's probably the chants that are in the BB, but i'll double check.

Thanks bunches.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.