Question for Mormons - Re: Jesus

Who is the higher being, Jesus or God? Or are they the same. We have determined that some Mormons on this Forum call Jesus, a God. Is Jesus one in being with God the father or is He a separate God?

According to the Mormons, Jesus is a separate being, but one in PURPOSE with God the Heavenly Father. They believe God has a body of flesh and bone, and that God was once a man who has progressed to become exalted and now he is a God. In other words, for Mormons, God, as an exalted man, was not always God. According to them, once upon a time God was an ordinary human.

They believe that Jesus is the “Jehovah” of the Old Testament and the creator of this world. They believe there are other worlds besides ours. I have never heard anything definative about who is in charge of those other worlds. They believe that, like God, we humans can also progress and become exalted and become Gods of our own worlds.

They believe that the Holy Spirit is yet another separate being, also one in PURPOSE with God the Heavenly Father and Jesus. But they also call God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, taken together, to form their version of a “Trinity”. They will at times, although it is rare, even use that word, but their understanding of the “Trinity” bears no resemblance to the beliefs of most other Christians.

I suppose that these doctrinal differences are the main reason that many other Christians do not consider Mormons to be Christian. At the very least, because the differences are so very extreme, even if other faiths call Mormons “Christian” it is only on a very qualified basis.

I suppose that is a round about way of answering your question and I am sorry if that was too much, but it is hard to answer without some background. In the Mormon hierarchy, it would appear to me that God is superior, but that is more of a conclusion of my own, based on everything else, I do not remember ever hearing it defined as such. I do not know if they think of God as #1 and Jesus as subordinate, but they definitely believe that Jesus is a separate being.

Because Mormons use the same terminology, it is easy for unsuspecting people to be mislead into believing that Mormons believe these words mean the same thing as other Christians do. That would be a mistake.

Would any Mormons like to answer this?

We believe that Jesus is subordinate to the Father, which means that God the Father is the “higher being,” if that is how you want to describe it. This is what is taught in the Bible:

John 14:28 “Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.”

John 20:17 “Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.”

Or are they the same.

No, they are not the same.

We have determined that some Mormons on this Forum call Jesus, a God.

You have? That is quite some determination! :slight_smile:

Is Jesus one in being with God the father or is He a separate God?

The father and the Son are two separate beings. Both are divine—i.e. God. Jesus addressed the Father as His God (and prays to Him). The Father, however, does not address Jesus as His God, nor prays to Him. That explains the kind of relationship that exists between them.

The Z-man of Alcatrazzz!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.