Question for Non-Catholic Christians

Dear follower of Christ,

Have you ever watched or listened on the radio* to The Journey Home *on EWTN network? Visited the Coming Home Network website? If you visited the website, have you read any of the testimonials? If you answer yes to any of the questions, were you able to relate to any of the information?

FYI: The Journey Home is on Live Monday evenings, 8 PM EST and is re-played Tuesday at 1 AM & 10 AM, Wednesday at 1 PM and again on Saturday at 11 PM. You may also view it here or call in to the program.

Many blessings,

Kelly

The answer to your questions is “No.”

I have watched some EWTN programs, briefly at least. They have not connected with me. But don’t be too disappointed, I don’t like TBN either.

Hey, I’m Catholic and don’t connect with a lot of the programming on EWTN.:wink: My question regarding The Journey Home was asked because it is the one program that has non-Catholics as the target audience. I personally find it outstanding because the entire hour is a convert (often clergy) describing his/her faith journey and answering call-in questions. I am always inspired by the incredible stories they share.

It might be a good program. I don’t know, I’ve never seen it. Not to start an argument, but there is one aspect of it, just in what you have described that would turn me off – the idea of “converting” or “coming home”. To me that sounds like saying my faith is not good enough. You may indeed think this. And if you know the mind of God better than I do, you may even be right. Like I said, I’m not trying to start an argument. But, as I feel that I already am a Christian, I hardly feel Christian I hardly feel the need to convert and already understand myself to be at one with God in Jesus Christ and don’t know how much more home I could be than I already am. From my perspective, being a Catholic would just be a different form, not a lesser, not a greater form of being a Christian.

I’ve listened to it on my local Catholic radio station, KBVM here in Portland.

I appreciate the struggles many Protestants made to their journey to the RCC. Many of thier questions and struggles are difficult for me to understand, but it’s not my struggle…it was theirs…now that they have found a tradition that makes their faith come alive and their walk with God more substantial, I can rejoice with them.

I have watched EWTN and I echo one of the posters response…I don’t like TBN or the 700 Club either…I rarely watch TV ministries…Protestant or Catholic…they leave me cold…for the most part they are very shallow and eventually gets to the plea for money…but that’s another thread in and of itself.

Back to the OP question…I do enjoy listening to the Journey Home…the struggles they faced in finding a faith tradition which meets their spiritual needs is one I have faced myself…God just led me elsewhere…I am grateful He takes care of His children in such matters.

The work of the Holy Spirit indeed. He speaks to each of us and thankfully accompanies each of us on our journey of faith.:thumbsup:

I do not watch religious television program, catholic or protestant. It’s mostly all about people asking for money.
I find that people that move from one denomnation to another are generally weak in their faith.
God lead my to a Bible believing, Bible teaching. God fearing, New Testament Baptist Church and I have no reason to go any place else

I like it. The quality of guests varies, but it’s usually interesting.

BTW, my Methodist mother-in-law loves the show. . . .

Edwin

Yes, I have had many a conversion story thrust my way, via EWTN, Alex Jones’ book among others. We are joining the RCC, but personally I find conversion stories a bit repulsive. I’d rather just watch Fr Corapi (preaching), Fr Goeshel, even Fulton Sheen. When I read conversion stories, it makes me want to not convert: the ones on EWTN especially that I have seen ( I am expected to relate to them but I don’t).

I don’t want to be a convert, I want to be Catholic.

I like that! It’s one of the reasons I haven’t converted. I particularly hate the “convert syndrome” by which converts feel the need either to attack or at least patronize the tradition from which they come.

And Catholics, don’t tell me converts to Catholicism don’t do this. I see it every day on this board.

Edwin

I have seen these at neighbors homes. They simply do not relate to me at all. They should “study” protestant media sources to see what exactly does apeal to others. For example, the cult know as the watchtower ( Jw’s ), uses second coming prophecy as a hook. Basically, we simply do not relate to priests. Other groups use family, current issues as hooks. What it boils down to they need to change their bait to get our interrest. For example, a program discussing prostrate cancer would get my interrest since I have been battling it.

The only conversion story I’ve ever heard that I liked was that of Mother Louis Marie de Montefort (who by the way is a wonderful teacher and speaker; if you ever have the opportunity to hear her, do not pass it up, whether or not you are Catholic) - her conversion story was that she reached the age of reason, figured out who Jesus was, fell madly in love with Him, and continues to offer every day of her life to His mission and work. No wrong turns, no blatantly horrible sins, no heresies, no confusion - just woke up one day, said a prayer, figured out what the words meant, turned her life totally over to Jesus, and never looked back. :slight_smile:

Explain this to me: Is this like how former smokers treat others who continue to smoke? Is this a good analogy? I really have never encountered people protesting on the basis of not wanting to be called converts. I had someone in our RCIA program tell me that they felt bad for cradle Catholics because they never were able to make the choice as an adult to embrace the faith. So many differing points of view that I find very interesting and new to me. Thanks!

Well let me say Amen to Contrarini. So true.

We felt like my wife’s sponsor especially wanted that whole: “I used to believe in this other church that had all the wrong teaching but now I have seen the light.” No, the other church was off in some things, certainly, but they were still a Bible-believing, God-fearing, Jesus loving church and therefore not all bad. They were part of the road on the way to the RCC. Even though we had enough problems with them to leave, we can’t wholeheartly go “I renounce it”, like we can say ,“I renounce Satan”, because to do so would be renouncing Jesus, too.

As a former smoker, I don’t judge smokers, except to jokingly say to the wife “filthy smokers!” I am just glad to be free. :dancing: Is it OK to plug Allen Carrs Easy Way to Stop Smoking-worked for me!

There is a feeling (and I can’t speak for Contrarini) to me that when people have said convert to us, that there has been an air of superiority about it. Like “see, we ARE better than you are, and now you are joining the winning team.” More like that.

As for cradle Catholics, I am usually jealous of their head-start and the obstacles they don’t have to overcome, like certain prayers addressed to our Lady that for a cradle Catholic are just normal, but coming into the Church seem like idolatory. Now we are to be accepted, I am going to say Hail Marys all the time!:smiley:

I’m not a great watcher of television in general or Christian television in specific. When I do watch Christian television it is almost always EWTN because it is far superior to TBN.

As such I think I recall seeing “The Journey Home” a couple of times.

Of course, to me “Home” would be leaving my evangelical church and returning to the United Methodist church of my youth.

BTW when I was in the hospital for surgery…I found myself in my drug induced morphine sleep having EWTN almost all the time. It really gave me a feeling of peace (oh that and Classical Music on public broadcasting from midnight to am). I think I flipped it when it got “too Catholic” but that was only a couple of times.

Of course when I started feeling better I watched more Fox News and ESPN. It was around that time my Red Sox won the posting rights to Matsuzaka. Of course so far Okajima has arguably been their more valuable Japanese pitcher but that is off topic.

I watch The Journey Home occasionally. As a Lutheran, I try especially to catch the show when Marcus Grodi interviews people who converted from Lutheranism to Catholicism. I find their stories interesting, usually, but I don’t particularly relate to them as I have not found Lutheran theology wanting.

Being a former catholic I am home, home in the orginal faith of the apostles Nazerene ( Messianic) Judaism.

Messianic Judaism started in the 1960s, I think?

I find this whole ‘convert’ issue fascinating and would love to know how to be certain that we do NOT make others feel this way. As I mentioned before, I never heard this mentioned before but it is now proven to be a big issue that needs to be addressed. Any suggestions on how to avoid the whole ‘convert’ perceived air of superiority would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

Actually, that’s my mother-in-law’s take on Grodi. She finds his guests fascinating precisely because they resist his efforts to get them to give that kind of narrative. I’m not sure she’s entirely fair to Grodi, and of course the guests vary widely, but I think she has a point.

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.