Question for our Jewish sisters and brothers

Would anyone be so kind please, and tell me what day it was when David came to the Temple and asked the Priest Ahimelech for some holy bread? I can't find it in our Christian bible :blush:

1 Samuel 21 [New American Standard Bible]
David Takes Consecrated Bread
1Then David came to Nob to Ahimelech the priest; and Ahimelech came trembling to meet David and said to him, “Why are you alone and no one with you?” 2David said to Ahimelech the priest, “The king has commissioned me with a matter and has said to me, ‘Let no one know anything about the matter on which I am sending you and with which I have commissioned you; and I have directed the young men to a certain place.’ 3“Now therefore, what do you have on hand? Give me five loaves of bread, or whatever can be found.” 4The priest answered David and said, “There is no ordinary bread on hand, but there is consecrated bread; if only the young men have kept themselves from women.” 5David answered the priest and said to him, “Surely women have been kept from us as previously when I set out and the vessels of the young men were holy, though it was an ordinary journey; how much more then today will their vessels be holy?” 6So the priest gave him consecrated bread; for there was no bread there but the bread of the Presence which was removed from before the LORD, in order to put hot bread in its place when it was taken away.

Mark 2:26 In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions."

[quote="504Katrin, post:1, topic:292813"]
Would anyone be so kind please, and tell me what day it was when David came to the Temple and asked the Priest Ahimelech for some holy bread? I can't find it in our Christian bible :blush:

[/quote]

Here's the Jewish Encyclopedia on the subject.

[quote="Saggart, post:2, topic:292813"]
1 Samuel 21 [New American Standard Bible]
David Takes Consecrated Bread
1Then David came to Nob to Ahimelech the priest; and Ahimelech came trembling to meet David and said to him, “Why are you alone and no one with you?” 2David said to Ahimelech the priest, “The king has commissioned me with a matter and has said to me, ‘Let no one know anything about the matter on which I am sending you and with which I have commissioned you; and I have directed the young men to a certain place.’ 3“Now therefore, what do you have on hand? Give me five loaves of bread, or whatever can be found.” 4The priest answered David and said, “There is no ordinary bread on hand, but there is consecrated bread; if only the young men have kept themselves from women.” 5David answered the priest and said to him, “Surely women have been kept from us as previously when I set out and the vessels of the young men were holy, though it was an ordinary journey; how much more then today will their vessels be holy?” 6So the priest gave him consecrated bread; for there was no bread there but the bread of the Presence which was removed from before the LORD, in order to put hot bread in its place when it was taken away.

Mark 2:26 In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions."

[/quote]

Thank you, Saggart, for your friendly feedback :)

This is the situation I'm talking about, but in my attempt to bring it all into context I couldn't find the day when this happened. Then I heard that there's a rabbinic explanation in scriptures other than our bible that says what day it was when all this happened.

[quote="Kaninchen, post:3, topic:292813"]
Here's the Jewish Encyclopedia on the subject.

[/quote]

Thank you, Kaninchen, you're always so sweet!

So...... back then when the temple still stood :) ...... the High Priests were usually baking bread during the week, and on the Sabbath they brought it in and offered it on the altar? And that day Ahimelech baked bread on the Sabbath and David basically caught him if you want to put it this way?

Perhaps this occurred around the Sabbath when the bread of the presence (show-bread) was being swapped out for fresh bread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showbread

[quote="504Katrin, post:5, topic:292813"]
Thank you, Kaninchen, you're always so sweet!

So...... back then when the temple still stood :) ...... the High Priests were usually baking bread during the week, and on the Sabbath they brought it in and offered it on the altar? And that day Ahimelech baked bread on the Sabbath and David basically caught him if you want to put it this way?

[/quote]

It was before The Temple, of course, but, yes, it does seem to have been a story of argument about 'The Law' on both sides - baking on the Sabbath and the question of 'ritual purity' of David's men - I'm afraid it's a case of it having been a 'in one ear and out the other' bit of the Tanakh as far as the David story is concerned so it's been interesting.

I went back to the Encyclopedia again for 'Showbread' and 'Nob'

I always find these bits of commonality with other ancient religions interesting, by the way.

[quote="Kaninchen, post:7, topic:292813"]
It was before The Temple, of course, but, yes, it does seem to have been a story of argument about 'The Law' on both sides - baking on the Sabbath and the question of 'ritual purity' of David's men - I'm afraid it's a case of it having been a 'in one ear and out the other' bit of the Tanakh as far as the David story is concerned so it's been interesting.

I went back to the Encyclopedia again for 'Showbread' and 'Nob'

I always find these bits of commonality with other ancient religions interesting, by the way.

[/quote]

Thanks! This answers all of my questions :)
And you know I find it kindof refreshing to read that others made little mistakes here and there or "got caught" just like in this case. Brings history alive in my opinion.
To think that the cakes were unleavened, so basically "only" consisted of flour and water, you would think that after a weak they must have tasted kindof dusty and stale like stone

I'm gonna wait one more year and then I'm going to fly to Israel with friends :bowdown: Right now my Hebrew isn't good enough yet, I'm still speaking baby Hebrew and wouldn't be able to engage in an intellectual conversation.
Are you from Italy, Kaninchen?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.