Question for our protestant friends

Is anyone among you sick? 6 He should summon the presbyters of the church, and they should pray over him and anoint (him) with oil in the name of the Lord,
and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven. 7
JAMES5:14-15===What do you say this verse is saying and do you believe your sins are forgiven. Does your preacher do this.

I know that the Mormon Church has blessings for the sick and the sick person is anointed with oil. I don’t know if other Christian religions do it or not. I’ve never asked my pastor about it so can’t say for sure.

I have found most mainstream Christian Churches have annionting of the Sick in one form or the another. Who has authority to do it I would say any Christian. This goes along with the thread I posted on the Order of Melchizedek.:wink:

I can tell you this much. I was an evangelist for 10 years and seen hundreds of people Healed. Jesus said “what is easier to say get up or your sins are forgiven.” I’d say when the person is healed that it is a clear sign they have repented and are healed. But the Lord declares forgivness. By the way I’m not a Protestant more a Charismatic Catholic on fire For JESUS, praise God.

Amen to that. I was dying once (do to an accident) my wife and mother layed hands on me and I was healed enough for the doctors to do surgery on me.:thumbsup:

I also was dying and doc said I would not make it to the next day But a priesta was here and I" still here also After the priest blessing

I think that is the point I was trying to make, any Christian can give Anointing of the Sick.:thumbsup:

Show Love Bill, Remeber the Disciples came back and said "Jesus we saw a man casting out Demons and he wasn’t a Catholic oops I mean He wasn’t one of us, then Jesus rebuked them and said leave them alone. Who ever is not against us is for us. Love my Friend is the mark God has placed on those who are really His. Not if they are a member of the Catholic Church. Jesus said you will know them by the Love that they have for each other. Not you will know them because they are Catholic or do the Sigh of the Cross or bow down to Statues. NO!!! By their Love. I Love you in Christ and don’t know you. It’s a supernatural Love given to those who are truly Saved by the Blood of Jesus.

Thankyou denwiles you took the words right out of my mouth.By the way my mom was a Charismatc Catholic,my dad was raised Baptist, my wife was raised Lutheren, and most my family is Pentacostal. We get together always with the love of Jesus and have all prayed together when someone in the family is sick.That kind of makes us of one accord. The Love of Jesus Christ!:wink:

My question is…if you are dying and you know it…would you ask a Catholic priest to give you the Sacrament of the Sick or Barack Obama…they are the only two present for purposes of the question?

Depends on whether Obama is a Christian or not, I really don’t know the man. As far as dying and knowing it, been there, done that, I’ll take any Christian to pray over me and anoint me with oil! I hope this answers your question.
Peace be with you!:thumbsup:

I would ask an RC priest without thinking twice. First and foremost because yours truly IS more high church than your average garden-variety “protestant”, but:
I tend to hold the view that all Christians are ABLE to administer the Anointing (based partly in that I do not think that it is a Sacrament per se), but that only priests/pastors SHOULD.

And even if I did hold to the view that it made no difference if it was administered by clergy or a lay Christian, I would still ask the RC priest - as there is serious doubts as to whether or not mr. Obama is a Christian in the first place…

Emphatically :thumbsup: , though I would be careful not to judge someone’s faith.

Jon

Here’s the way the King James puts it.

James5:14Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
16Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

I, being an elder in my church, have taken part in a couple of anointings. Notice that the healing must begin with the sick person and this implies that there is repentence, because as we know forgiveness of sins cannot happen without it. Also it says the prayer of faith shall save the sick. This also implies repentence and does not necessarily mean the sick person will be healed of his sickness but if he does repent (the prayer of faith) the Lord will heal him (forgive him of his sins).

I retrack my stament here thanks to Rebecca J , I’ll definately take a Catholic Priest when I’m on my death bed.:wink:

I’d have to respond to that with a “yes and no”. The thing is that when Catholics use the phrase “Anointing of the Sick”, we are usually referring to the sacrament of Anointing of the Sick (alternatively known as “Unction of the Sick”, “Extreme Unction” etc.) which can only be validly adminstered by a priest.

But that’s not in any way to suggest that there’s no value in a Christian, who isn’t a priest, praying over someone.

Peter,
Will a Catholic priest, if requested by a non-Catholic Christian who is dying, administer Extreme Unction?

Jon

The “man” says he is a Christian and I think the priest would say the same thing if somebody could actually have the nerve to ask…but the question for you was not answered. I ask again…if the two of them were the only ones in the room as you were in danger of dying…which do you ask to minister to you. I am guessing Obama wouldn’t have his oil with him so…one or the other…not just any “Christian”.:shrug:

racing59
I had not seen your answer before I rephrased the question for you. That was what I had hoped for so I will let you analyze what this means to you. Thank you:)

Thankyou that you read my retraction.It means to me that a Catholic Priest has the authority to administer a Sacrament, I conceed to the Catholic Church has authority in this matter.I would hate to be dead wrong!:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.