Question for parents of younger children

Hello,
My question is aimed at parents of 5-8 (ish) year olds.
What questions do they ask you about the faith?

[quote="Abeille, post:1, topic:179931"]
Hello,
My question is aimed at parents of 5-8 (ish) year olds.
What questions do they ask you about the faith?

[/quote]

My six year old recently wanted me to explain the trinity to her. Still working on that one!

For the most part, they are pretty accepting of what dh and I teach them as far as the real presence in the eucharist, praying, asking forgivness, etc.

We've also had them in religious education classes from the time they were three, so that helps.

Recently I talked to my 9 yr old who is preparing for her First Holy Communion. I wanted to make sure without a doubt that she understood that the bread and wine becomes the body and blood of Christ. Sure enough even though we have discussed this since she was little she was shocked when I explained at the consecration that Jesus working thru the priest brings about the change. She said “That would mean he is a magician!” and was sort of affronted.

I explained how we develop from a human egg that is so tiny it cannot be seen with the naked eye and yet we are all complex and unique. If God can do that then changing bread and wine does not seem too much of a challenge. She accepted that answer.

[quote="Kindness, post:3, topic:179931"]
Recently I talked to my 9 yr old who is preparing for her First Holy Communion. I wanted to make sure without a doubt that she understood that the bread and wine becomes the body and blood of Christ. Sure enough even though we have discussed this since she was little she was shocked when I explained at the consecration that Jesus working thru the priest brings about the change. She said "That would mean he is a magician!" and was sort of affronted.

I explained how we develop from a human egg that is so tiny it cannot be seen with the naked eye and yet we are all complex and unique. If God can do that then changing bread and wine does not seem too much of a challenge. She accepted that answer.

[/quote]

Have you ever had to explain the difference between "magic" and "miracle"?

How did you end up trying to explain it?
How exactly did she ask her question? It seems like, “what is the trinity?” would be a difficult thing to ask!

Here's a cool article I saw today.
catholicexchange.com/2009/12/16/114757/

We use the shamrock to explain the trinity. My kids didn’t ask, but it was in their religious lesson. We also used the example that they could be a brother, son, friend, baseball player, etc. Those are all aspects of the same one little boy. So, it’s kind of the same thing with the Trinity.

As for the original question, my kids don’t come up with too many questions off the top of their hats, other than when we are in mass (What is Father doing? How is he doing that? Why? What are those people doing? That’s not very nice. (while looking at the station of the cross where Jesus is nailed to the cross.))

My boys are almost-7 and 4 1/2...
We don't have "formal" lessons on faith - it just comes up in everyday conversations - I don't really know how we get onto topics like the Trinity or the Eucharist or Heaven - but we just talk through it. I definitely get questions and go into further details - for example, when we talk about the Trinity I have to get very repetitive about ONE God, but THREE persons (and yes, I've used the shamrock example also)... and then I also mention that this is a "mystery" of the faith. Sometimes these things are difficult for adults to understand, so if it's difficult to understand that's okay.

Well, I didn’t do a fabulous job of it, but don’t think I completely botched it either. I tried to explain the concept of ONE God, THREE persons. She would refer to the Father as God, but didn’t get how Jesus and the Holy Spirit are also God. How can that be when there’s only one God? (She’s a pretty deep kid!)

I went about it as she is one person with three separate parts…her body, her spirit and her immortal soul. She seemed pretty accepting of that. Gotta say though…it was a whole lot easier explaining sex to her!!! (I’m preggers, so we’ve been talking alot about that too!)

My 5 year old has trouble understanding that Jesus is real because he has "never met him." He thinks Jesus is only in pictures.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.