Question for protestants from a protestant

HI,
When I first came to this site it was soley for research reasons. I never would of thought in a lifetime I’d be considering what I am now. I’m beginning to believe God is callingme into the Catholic Churchbut there’s still some things that just dont make sense. I was wondering if you guys have found any BIG reasons on why I shouldnt go ahead and do this? Thanks for your time!

For me personally the belief in the infaulability of the pope is a big one. I am a pacifist as well so that is a problem.

[quote=Shlemele]For me personally the belief in the infaulability of the pope is a big one. I am a pacifist as well so that is a problem.
[/quote]

Not to hijack this thread, but why is being a pacifist a problem?

It isn’t a problem, it’s just not somthing I think the Catholic church mandates as much as the tradition I was raised in. As not to hijack the thread I’ll send you a PM.

[quote=april_hosen]HI,
When I first came to this site it was soley for research reasons. I never would of thought in a lifetime I’d be considering what I am now. I’m beginning to believe God is callingme into the Catholic Churchbut there’s still some things that just dont make sense. I was wondering if you guys have found any BIG reasons on why I shouldnt go ahead and do this? Thanks for your time!
[/quote]

Hi April!

You will probably get plenty of reasons based on misconceptions or stereotypes. Just remember to follow your heart. My best friend started off the same way as you (research reasons). Two years later he is ready to convert to the Catholic Church–with or without his wife and children! He is a baptist, and many fellow baptists have attempted to reason with him–to keep him in the baptist church. But the more he researched Church history and the Church Fathers, the closer he came to the Catholic Church. He began to read and understand Scripture like he never had before. Right now he is reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church and he calls me weeping sometimes. God’s calling is deafening when you listen, April. May the Holy Spirit guide you to all truth. God bless you and may the peace and love of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you always.

Mickey

While maybe I shouldn’t be doing this, try asking on a Protestant forum, then coming back here when you want an explanation for something.:thumbsup:

Find out the things that don’t make sense and learn them and see if you can figure some things out. If you can’t get resolution on every single little detail, don’t worry about it. If there’s still big huge things that bother you, then wait a bit.

Then go be Catholic. There’s no reason not to.

[quote=april_hosen]HI,
[/quote]

I’m curious, April H, what got you started on this path? Was there anything specific, or a group of things? Have you prayed for answers?

You see, I am a craddle Catholic so I don’t get to have your experiences, so I need to ask in order to know.

I hope it isn’t too prying.

SUbrosa

[quote=april_hosen]I was wondering if you guys have found any BIG reasons on why I shouldnt go ahead and do this?
[/quote]

From the perspective of someone in the conversion process, I’ll say this:

No.

God bless. :slight_smile:

[quote=Shlemele]For me personally the belief in the infaulability of the pope is a big one. I am a pacifist as well so that is a problem.
[/quote]

The Pope is not infallible. he “exercises infallibility”. The difference is important and it is this among other things which posits infallibility squarely in the biblical right and duty to bind and loose.

I am or ‘WAS’ probably one of the most prolific Protestants on this board at one time. While arguing with some individuals I started reading some of the works of the Church Fathers and just old Christian writings in general in order to combat Catholicism.

Anyways, the more I read the more if found about what the Church was intended to be which is – One, holy, catholic, and apostolic.

So to make a long story short… I am now working on becoming Orthodox. I still have some difficulties with the Catholic Church that exclude me from joining that particular See but who knows where the road will lead.

posted by FuzzyBunny116While maybe I shouldn’t be doing this, try asking on a Protestant forum, then coming back here when you want an explanation for something.:thumbsup:

I actually agree with this. You will get more answers with a Protestant perspective. But with each reason given, please come back here, or check with the Catechism to make sure it is a valid reason.

But rest assured there is absolutely nothing in the official teachings of the Catholic Church that contradict Scripture. Not one.

May God protect you and guide you to all truth.

Maria

[quote=Shibboleth]I am or ‘WAS’ probably one of the most prolific Protestants on this board at one time. While arguing with some individuals I started reading some of the works of the Church Fathers and just old Christian writings in general in order to combat Catholicism.

Anyways, the more I read the more if found about what the Church was intended to be which is – One, holy, catholic, and apostolic.

So to make a long story short… I am now working on becoming Orthodox. I still have some difficulties with the Catholic Church that exclude me from joining that particular See but who knows where the road will lead.
[/quote]

Cool, Shib! Well-catechized Lutherans make GREAT Catholics/Orthodox. But ask youself this question: If you have Apostolic Succession, and Peter is *not *in your House of Bishops – what are you thinking?

April, I have been a Catholic my whole life (30 years) so I hope you don’t mind my posting despite the title of your thread. You’re still in high school, right? I would suggest reading more about the Church, asking us questions here and leaving yourself open to the possibility that the Holy Spirit is calling you to the Church. As you are a Baptist and, I assume, still living at home I think from what I have read from other converts it will be difficult for you to really become Catholic until you are on your own. I’m sure that you will face many obstacles from people who oppose the Church (out of fear or misinformation). You can take your time with this process! Just keep your mind open and see where the Holy Spirit leads you. By the way, if you can just remove disbelief for a moment and imagine this:

Jesus Christ founded a Church, He gave St. Peter the highest authority here in His Church to make decisions while He is physically away from us, He intended for Peter and all of the apostles to have successors after their deaths to continue the Church leadership until His Second Coming, those successors today are Pope Benedict XVI and all Bishops. (You can imagine why Catholics love our Pope so much if you can conclude that His position was created by Jesus Christ.) This Church has existed continuosly for 2,000 years. This Church is the Catholic Church. If you can imagine for a moment that it might be true, wouldn’t that be amazing and comforting - to have that direct connection to Christ? The Church has been here - through good and bad - for 2,000 years right back to Christ Himself.

Pray that the Holy Spirit will guide you to Truth. Congratulations by the way, the Holy Spirit has already begun His work within you. It’s very exciting for me to witness! :dancing:

[quote=Shibboleth]I am or ‘WAS’ probably one of the most prolific Protestants on this board at one time. While arguing with some individuals I started reading some of the works of the Church Fathers and just old Christian writings in general in order to combat Catholicism.

[/quote]

Good for you Shibboleth! Did you ever consider the Byzantine Catholic Church? Best of all Traditions–the barque of St Peter–you can receive the Eucharist in Eastern or Western Churches–and you won’t have to be rebaptized! :smiley:

This hi-jack is now over.

Mickey and mercygate:

Thank you for your kind words. As much as I appreciate the Catholic Church I still have some difficulties with some of the issues with the powers attributed to the See of Peter. Unfortunately they are not the type of beliefs that one can hold and still be part of the Catholic Church - if I joined I would be in a state of schism.

If someone told me a year ago that I would be holding the beliefs that I do now on Tradition I would have laughed in their face - so who knows, maybe in time I will change my ideas on these issues.

I am just excited about joining a Church with a valid line of Apostolic Succession.

[quote=Shibboleth]I am just excited about joining a Church with a valid line of Apostolic Succession.
[/quote]

God bless you! The Orthodox Church is rich in history and steeped in mysticism. I guarantee that the more you experience the nuances of the Church, the more you will crave it’s guidance through the Holy Spirit. May your journey be a blessed one!
smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_41.gif

[quote=Eden] If you can imagine for a moment that it might be true, wouldn’t that be amazing and comforting - to have that direct connection to Christ?
[/quote]

Hmm,
The thing is I already have a direct relationship with Christ. And this is without the church. I’m a little bit afraid that if I do convert my relationship will become a backseat, to focusing on Priests, the Pope and Mary.I suppose the relationship depends on the person…but goodness, I am just scared out of my mind. Because I know if I were to do this then I would be completely alone. But Ikeep on hearing Gods voice.

Yes you do have a relationship with Christ in the Baptist faith! But you could have a complete relationship through the “bride” of Christ - His Church and His Sacraments -particularly the Eucharist. I know that you may have some trouble with this idea - that Christ is actually present in the Catholic Eucharist but it’s not symbolic!

I can imagine that the thought of eating Christ makes you go :eek: (most of His followers did too) but it is a great mystery that He gave to us.

Here are some excerpts from an article about the “Real Presence”:

Jesus first repeated what he said, then summarized: “‘I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.’ The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’” (John 6:51–52).

His listeners were stupefied because now they understood Jesus literally—and correctly. He again repeated his words, but with even greater emphasis, and introduced the statement about drinking his blood: "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him" (John 6:53–56).

No Corrections

Notice that Jesus made no attempt to soften what he said, no attempt to correct “misunderstandings,” for there were none. Our Lord’s listeners understood him perfectly well. They no longer thought he was speaking metaphorically. If they had, if they mistook what he said, why no correction?

On other occasions when there was confusion, Christ explained just what he meant (cf. Matt. 16:5–12). Here, where any misunderstanding would be fatal, there was no effort by Jesus to correct. Instead, he repeated himself for greater emphasis.

In John 6:60 we read: “Many of his disciples, when they heard it, said, ‘This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?’” These were his disciples, people used to his remarkable ways. He warned them not to think carnally, but spiritually: “It is the Spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life” (John 6:63; cf. 1 Cor. 2:12–14).

But he knew some did not believe. (It is here, in the rejection of the Eucharist, that Judas fell away; look at John 6:64.) “After this, many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with him” (John 6:66).

This is the only record we have of any of Christ’s followers forsaking him for purely doctrinal reasons. If it had all been a misunderstanding, if they erred in taking a metaphor in a literal sense, why didn’t he call them back and straighten things out? **Both the Jews, who were suspicious of him, and his disciples, who had accepted everything up to this point, would have remained with him had he said he was speaking only symbolically. **

But he did not correct these protesters. Twelve times he said he was the bread that came down from heaven; four times he said they would have “to eat my flesh and drink my blood.” John 6 was an extended promise of what would be instituted at the Last Supper—and it was a promise that could not be more explicit.

For the full article go here: catholic.com/library/Christ_in_the_Eucharist.asp

[quote=april_hosen]Hmm,
The thing is I already have a direct relationship with Christ. And this is without the church. I’m a little bit afraid that if I do convert my relationship will become a backseat, to focusing on Priests, the Pope and Mary.
[/quote]

Your direct relationship with Christ will deepen. Guaranteed! :slight_smile:

[quote=april_hosen]I suppose the relationship depends on the person…but goodness, I am just scared out of my mind. Because I know if I were to do this then I would be completely alone. But I keep on hearing Gods voice.
[/quote]

How blessed you are to have such a clear calling from the voice of God! :yup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.