Question For Protestants (if any are here)

I remain Protestant because my best understanding of the Christian faith conforms most closely to Reformed theology.

I grew up in a Christian home, but did not really claim my faith until my teen years. It was after an encounter with the Holy Spirit that I could no longer believe that the Christian faith was just a cultural belief, but I knew that Jesus was real. I have been a Christian since that time. As I have moved to different locations I have been a part of churches of many different denominations and never had to change my beliefs. I had always considered all Christians to be united under Christ, and never was too concerned with this denomination or that denomination.

I always knew that Catholicism was a little different than the other denominations. I didn’t know much about Catholicism. My childhood was in a region where there were very few Catholics. (I met 2 people who were Catholic in my childhood). Then as an adult I started to meet more Catholics, and even had a family member convert for his wife. But it was a late night discussion with Catholic and ex-Catholic friends that really opened my eyes. I then was hit with the reality that my dear Catholic friend had been led to believe a Christian faith that was incredibly different than any Christianity that I had ever heard about. I also realized that we had come to believe a completely different history of the church. Her understanding of history disagreed with the history I had learned at church and public school. (She even, as a homeschool mother, had to find a special history book written by Catholics because she was led to believe mainstream history was wrong.)

After months of reading history books as well as reading writings from the first few centuries of Christianity, I felt no reason to consider becoming Catholic. Often Catholics claim to teach Christianity in its original form and accuse others of changing Christianity. Sometimes they will admit that Catholicism is based on the development of doctrine, and that Christianity had developed over the centuries. I actually think that the first few centuries of Christianity had it right, and that Christianity did not need to have doctrinal development in order to be a complete faith. My faith is in the Scriptures inspired by the Holy Spirit and not doctrines developed over the centuries. The churches I have been a part of have all tried to emulate the first century Christians.

I still enjoy having discussions regarding religion and trying to figure out why people believe what they believe.

I could imagine so… My family has irish roots and my dad was visiting in the 80s when they really started…

When I read this the first thing that came to my mind was…

Matthew 25:14-30
The Parable of the Talents
14 “For it is as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them; 15 to one he gave five talents,[a] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 The one who had received the five talents went off at once and traded with them, and made five more talents. 17 In the same way, the one who had the two talents made two more talents. 18 But the one who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money. 19 After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them…

I’m not saying your mother doesn’t love God. It just seemed to me by her believing the one talent (prayer), given to her by God, is only good for one thing (Worshiping God) would be like burying that talent and not using it for all that God intended for us to use it for.

It’s so we never forget that without the Crucifixion there could not be a resurrection.

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”

… 22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles,

Keep asking questions. It’s all about the WHY? That’s why I am a member of the Catholic Church. She is the only one who could answer me, every time I asked WHY.

God Bless

Probably for the same reasons that people remain Catholic.

Nice level of respect and courtesy for our Orthodox brethren, learned to always expect that at CAF.

In the north still true to an extent, in the rest of Ireland at best you might face family disapproval and even that is far less likely than it once was and many families have a number of religious traditions within the home.

The Troubles had started long, long before the 80’s. The peak period for violence in the current round of the Troubles was the early to mid 1970’s. The 80’s is noteable for republicans moving the confict outside of Ireland in a way they had not do so previously, at least not in such a large or ambitious manner. That sort of approach was what eventually in part led to negotiations taking place, although numerous other factors played into that as well over time.

I view us a both dividing from the other and people on both sides behaving like complete numpties at times. Unfortunately we then ended up with around a 1,000 years of people constantly talking past each other and the after effects of that are still with us to this day.

noun
a split or division between strongly opposed sections or parties, caused by differences in opinion or belief.
synonyms: division, split, rift, breach, rupture, break, separation, severance; More
the formal separation of a church into two churches or the secession of a group owing to doctrinal and other differences.

By definition, a schism is never one sided

Drive the wedge of division in deeper in order to welcome reconciliation. Interesting

For myself I am wondering what the lack of or presence of air-conditioning has to do with anything in any case. I’ve worshipped in Orthodox Churches which had it and some which did not. The same is true of Catholic Churches. I was unaware the presence (or lack of) air conditioning was a major theological matter.

I imagine a dutiful daughter may care what their parents think and whilst I obviously disagree with the poster Jill’s points of view concerning our faith in some regards she was asked what she thought and responded on those grounds. Given that we should be prepared to hear points we may disagree with.

Me neither, but I guess the charge of confusion actually fits. The church I grew up in had no A/C in the upstairs nave, but it did have A/C in the downstairs chapel. :flushed:

So it was neither one thing or t’other to use dialect from the north of England for a moment. The Church I mostly worshipped in as a kid was a former Methodist chapel and due to the fact it is also a listed building it was very, very plain. Apart from the altar, crucifix near that some stations of the cross and one icon at the fron in later years it had whitewashed walls, pine pews and very, very little statuary. The main Church nearby is far more ornate and is built on a Gothic plan with touches of classical architecture underlying that. Room for both in my universe. One of the nicer Churches I have ever worshipped in was a small chapel in Venice which is off the main tourist trail. San Marco is huge and impressive but it is also constantly crowded, noisy and actually worshipping in it would be very difficult I would think.

As for Churches full of icons plenty of them in Catholicism, hardly unusual to find that in many places. Many Italian Churches have tonnes of icons or pictures with roots in that tradition and many Eastern Catholic Churches have huge numbers of icons in the Church. Not surprisingly. The Orthodox Churches are defined by rather more than icons, important as to they are to those Churches as part of their worship and tradition.

For Protestants you have personal interpretation which the Catholic Church does not adhere to. In a Protestant church you will listen to the sermon and families will go home and discuss on which points you agree with the pastor and which points you disagree. On these points the pastor was correct and in these her was not. This is what we believe in our household.

You go to the church that most fits your beliefs until the pastor says something outlandish that does not align to yours. You leave the church. Pray for direction and search for the next church.

It is a sad state of affairs really.

So as a protestant, you pray for God to lead you to his church. Find me a church please. Alot of times if you don’t find it, perhaps you found others that are of like mind and you start your own.

All Protestant churches are touted to be divinely led. Surely the holy Spirit doesn’t have split personalities?

While I am working out my own salvation I wonder if the holy Spirit is leading or our own comfort levels.

I find the Catholic Church to be very different and I am totally out of my element when I attend. I do not understand what’s going on and I cannot make out the words being recited back by the congregation. I am holding on and waiting.

I’m not saying your mother doesn’t love God. It just seemed to me by her believing the one talent (prayer), given to her by God, is only good for one thing (Worshiping God) would be like burying that talent and not using it for all that God intended for us to use it for.

I will have to ponder the above. I like to see churches expand God’s territory and an issue I have with many churches. It reminds me of the hymn where you do not put your light under the bushel.

In the homily on Sunday the pastor stated you spread the gospel by first the life you live which draws people first to you and then to God when you share your story. It is exactly as I have thought. The best people I have known attracted me through first their lives and attitudes and then they told me what God has done for them.

Thank you for this. :slight_smile:

Welcome home

I am Anglican. I like Catholic services better and always have. But if I convert it will be to Judaism as I find Christian theology to be very much corrupted by ancient paganism. One of the most serious of these influences is the pagan idea of worshiping gods or a god in the human form. This is not done in Judaism. Another issue is the philosophy that Jesus died in order for mankind’s sins to be forgiven. The idea that one human being has to be tortured to death in order to enable YHWH to forgive another person’s sins seems contrary to the justness of our Creator.

That’s penal substitution, protestant theology, not catholic

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.