Question For Protestants (if any are here)

One of the largest hurdles that I can’t get over to even think about conversion is, Why would I want to join a church that looks down on or is unwelcoming to Non-Catholics. So, (as a non-Catholic spouse) I can’t be accepted there now because I’m the “wrong type” of Christian, but if I were to convert all of a sudden I’ll be welcomed with open arms. That just doesn’t seem right to me.

I think this poster might represent a Christianity that is so insular that there isn’t much to be gained by either party through engagement.

$0.02

Have not been led to any other pasture/community, and as for myself, find it plenty green and waterful, and challenging, with plenty of ministry opportunities, and lastly, it is the “land” I was “born” in.

It is sad indeed that you believe non-Christians are not welcome into the Catholic faith. Maybe you experienced something like this at a Catholic church. However, it is not true in the least. What is true is that Catholicism is very rich and deep in its doctrine, intellectual tradition, prayer life, liturgy, sacraments, etc. There’s a lot to learn, and because Catholics believe that Christ offers his real presence to us in the Eucharist, one has to know what they are doing and believe it. How would you know what you are converting to if you didn’t go through a process of education? That’s why the church will not let you gain access to the sacraments until you learn about them and give your Credo.
There’s a famous quote by someone (concerning cults): A religion should be hard to get into and easy to leave. A cult is easy to get into and hard to leave. Catholicism is hard to get into, but you are free to leave anytime.

That last sentence isn’t true, though. The RCC teaches that it is not possible to leave.

One can leave communion with the Church, but the indelible mark of Baptism is eternal…

Is that what you were trying to say? just attempting to clarrify…

That’s true. Additionally, the Catholic Church teaches that once a person has been received into the RCC, it is not possible for that person to leave. That person remains subject to canon law forever. There is no such thing as an ex-Catholic, according to the RCC. I’ll find a link for you.

well, yes, because Baptism is eternal. I believe that’s a Christian thing, not just Catholic (If i’m not mistaken)

And yes, one can sin, defame, and be heretical all they want, and the Church will still reconcile them and bring them back to God if the person so desires.

That’s a good, positive way to look at it. I don’t want to go off topic, but not everyone sees it that way. I’m using my phone right now, but I’ll pm you a link when I can, ok?

Absolutely. :grinning:

Blessed be God forever, those Solas can get you into a lot of trouble. They also can’t be found in Scripture when you go deep in scripture.

I will pray for your journey, that you may have every grace and blessing!

That is definitely a good reason to become Catholic, but has she met the Saints? Just read the lives of the Saints, and go to a Catholic Church.

It’s just the same for Protestants, you could be unlucky and find Protestants who are more worldly than the worldly folks, and indulging in every kind of sin. It’s a double sided coin.

The only reason to believe in something is because it is true. My wife converted not for me, but because she found that the Catholic Church taught and defended what was true.

Okay, that’s reasonable, but do you find Reformed theology taught or believed in the early church?

What are you looking for in a church. Is it the depth and meaning of the service, the welcoming nature of the congregation, the qoir, etc?. Do the breakaway churches offer something better than the Catholic Church.

Can you explain how the Catholic Church “looks down or is unwelcoming to Non-Catholics”. Please provide some examples. Your experience with individual Catholics cannot be used as representing that of the Catholic Church. How does anyone know you are a non-Catholic when you go into a Catholic service. Have you ever been kicked out of a church service because the Church knew you to be a Protestant.

Yes my whole family. My dad wouldn’t be in the pulpit if his dad was a catholic priest not a Lutheran Minister my mom wouldn’t be a Lutheran school principal if her dad was a catholic priest instead of a Lutheran minister.

After reading through books like Ephesians and Galatians, I am convinced that they teach that a person is justified by faith alone. I am hesitant to call myself a protestant, though, because I don’t think the reformers were entirely right (like on Sola Scriptura for example).

I’m protestant and do not understand fully why people are convinced by Sola fide as a theology. The Bible is chock full of commands for works.

Communion for example. Christ said to do this in memory of me. That is a work.

Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.

While I understand that all things are for him and through him, we still have our free will. I can throw my hands up and walk away any time.

The idea of once saved always saved was not a principle I was raised on and it makes little sense to me. If I was truly a changed person, I would be striving to do the will of God. To let my light shine so others may see my good works and glorify God in heaven.

We are called to be fishers of men. Why bother with us at all if we are not useful? He is big enough to by pass us all together. I can ask my children to go to school and become educated. If they come home and sit on the couch and do not apply it, I will be one unhappy mom.

[quote=“WesArm, post:2, topic:470141, full:true”]
I’m Protestant, but barely. After examining the Catholic arguments against faith alone & scripture alone, I now reject those two Protestant Solas. So I may not be Protestant for much longer…
[/quot]
Same history here, brother. Once I stoped believing the lies of Sola Fide and Sola Scriptura I could no longer be a presbyterian.
I’m now a Catholic in the process of being received in the Church.

Sure. before going to far though, do you consider leadership and priests representatives of the Catholic Church?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.