Question for Protestants

Just wondering…Do any of you protastants say the Rosary?
I read somewhere that a small number of Lutherans are praying it.

I don’t personally pray the rosary, but I certainly don’t see any reason why there would be a problem with any believing Christians praying a prayer to God which helps focus their hearts and minds on Him.

[quote=kayla]Just wondering…Do any of you protastants say the Rosary?
[/quote]

I don’t

I do! Raised Protestant. Planning to attend RCIA in fall. I bought a beautiful Rosary just because I’d always wanted one (don’t ask me why - just drawn to it). Then I got online and printed out instructions, bought a book to elaborate on the mysteries and taught myself. I also watched it on EWTN.

I love it. Makes me feel very peaceful and very close to Mary and Jesus. I feel that I’m developing a real love and admiration for Mary that I never had before. Marian devotion (is that the correct way of putting it?) is a big attraction to me with the Catholic Church. I find myself aspiring to her example as a woman/wife/mother. I too have one son and that makes me feel close to her. It’s also very comforting to think of Mary as my Mother. To me it is a very beautiful part of the Catholic Church.

Amie

Nope. The church I was raised in (i.e. forced to go to by parents) taught that there is no evidence in the bible about saying the rosary, and is thus not necessary to be a faithful christian. Most churches I’ve visited have said that it’s not really a bad thing (the rosary) but it’s just unnecessary.

Like I’ve said on the site before though, I’m researching catholicism and seeing if it’s something I should join…I’m just giving you the info I was raised with.

[quote=streetcar]Nope. The church I was raised in (i.e. forced to go to by parents) taught that there is no evidence in the bible about saying the rosary, and is thus not necessary to be a faithful christian.
[/quote]

I think this is a common protestant mindset–if it’s not necessary, it should be rejected. The Rosary is not necessary to be a faithful Catholic either. You can go to heaven just fine without ever saying a Hail Mary. But that’s one thing that’s great about Catholicism: there are so many different (and completely “unnecessary” and unmentioned in Scripture) devotions out there to help each unique individual strengthen their faith and become closer to Christ.

Acolleague of mine, who is a Lutheran prays the Holy Rosary on her way to work.

I do, every night. Stations of the Cross every Friday too :smiley:

The problem is that depending on which protestant church you ask you get views of “no because we are supposed to pray only to God” to the more extreame “Idolitry”.

But again, like I said, it depends on what protestant church you ask.

God Bless.

[quote=Jo’s_Dad]I do, every night. Stations of the Cross every Friday too :smiley:
[/quote]

That’s an awesome Friday devotion:thumbsup:

Do Protestant’s do the Stations?

I do the rosary sometimes. I really like it. I’ve never done the stations though. I’ve never even seen stations in a protestant church.

[quote=kayla]Just wondering…Do any of you protastants say the Rosary?
[/quote]

None that I know of! :cool:

I say it regularly. I love the rosary. (I even make rosaries). I also use the rosary beads to count repetitions of the Jesus Prayer. I also say the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.
More recently, I have become very interested in the Franciscan Crown Rosary. I am in the process of deciding what colors I will make my Crown rosary in. In the meantime, I say it on a regular rosary.
I am not aware of protestant churches that have the Stations of the Cross set up, but we have the opportunity to do them in Lenten services.
Another neat thing is the Ecumenical Miracle Rosary. See: ecumenicalrosary.org/
This was set up by a couple, one Catholic, one Protestant, as a way for Christians of various churches to pray together.
And there are both Lutheran & Episcopalian sites w/the rosary on them.
John Wesley, whose followers founded the Methodist church, prayed the rosary nearly every day, & never left the house without his rosary in his pocket.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.