Question for SAINT BERNADETTE experts

Hi again. Jesus’ Will was one with the Father. So, we agree: no accident. I did say “permission” but even that word requires attention (as you noted).

If the God/man can be tempted, someone outside of the hypostatic union certainly can be, correct?

In the case of a Saint, of course. But our Lady was and is in a privileged position as Mother and Queen of Saints; not only is Our Lady a part of the Church but is the beginning of the Church (St. Augustine of Hippo - from a reading noted in the LOTH).

And please look at this, taken from the CCC:

v=http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p122a3p2.htm

*'498 The meaning of this event is accessible only to faith, which understands in it the "connection of these mysteries with one another"152 in the totality of Christ’s mysteries, from his Incarnation to his Passover. St. Ignatius of Antioch already bears witness to this connection:

"Mary’s virginity and giving birth, and even the Lord’s death escaped the notice of the prince of this world: these three mysteries worthy of proclamation were accomplished in God’s silence."153’ * ]

You might not have spent much time reflecting upon my answer and some of the terms used.

Just to say, that while God could allow, by Divine right, Satan to tempt His own flesh (or try and tempt him, if we understand all that the word ‘tempt’ means), to allow His Holy Mother, who was also perfectly pure and sanctified, in Him, to be tempted, is not appropriate, applicable or correct. It is within Satan’s power, as the most powerful fallen angel, to attack ALL other humans who are indeed born with Original Sin. Therefore, no “permission” (or whatever the word) required for Satan to do that, by the very nature of his choice to rebel.

“Have you considered my servant Job?” comes to mind. Trying not to complicate this, but only to help the OP to understand that Saints are not exempt from/immune to/above temptation. I cannot recall a case in which a Saint was not mightily tempted.

I agree that saints, who are part of the Church, who are not “preserved”, are tempted.

This entire line of inquiry being based on a commercial dramatic production which was likely not entirely accurate.

Yes, I asked someone who has read of St. Bernadette after finding nothing on Google about being tempted by a “wounded soldier”, and therefore, still no agreement with this idea. I do agree that in all likelihood, as a saint, St. Bernadette was probably tempted, from time to time; however, she was a saint, and so the lines of temptation get a lot thinner, in respect to and in relation to, holiness.

Thanks for the responses.:slight_smile:

If the thread has run its course, then I do not wish to extend it. My post was for the OP’s disdain for the temptation of a Great Saint. What specifically is the point in fact? I have read the subsequent posts. Thanks for your patience.

Peace

Hi. My mistake then. I thought your post was following on from a couple of later posts and not specifically relating to the OP’s regarding St. Bernadette.

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.