Question for the non-Catholics

There will be a poll, please wait for it. Scenario: your public schools are not great and an independent Catholic school opens amidst other private Christian (mostly Baptist) schools in your area. (Assume homeschooling is not an option.) The tuition is comparatively less than other Christian schools and Montessori’s. Would you consider a private Catholic school an option for your pre-k through 8th grader?

I ran out of options, so if your choice is ‘other’ or you;d like to comment further, please do so in a reply. Thank you verymuch for your input!! :wave::love:

Nepenthe and I are both agnostic, and sure, we’d consider a private Catholic school in the first pass. I attended a Catholic grade school for a few years and have few complaints, and Nepenthe graduated from a Jesuit high school. We both admire Catholicism’s long-standing intellectual and scholastic tradition, and even though that seems to have fallen away a bit recently there’s still a lot of good to be had.

We would, of course, check it out very thoroughly before sending our hypothetical-as-yet kids there – but then, we’d be doing the same for any other school too :wink:

Could you please elaborate a bit on what you mean by this? I’ve never attended Catholic school myself so I am not sure what you mean. Thanks!

No, I would send my children to a private christian school if the public schools were that bad. I am not catholic. I go to a non-denom church but I guess we are closest to baptist .:thumbsup:

Blessings for me because our public school system is great!!!:smiley:

My children attended a parochial school.

I selected Yes, I’m Lutheran. But, see my signature. LOL

Catholics are Christians… so a Catholic school is a christian school.

Yes I know but when you are talking about schools they do differentiate themselves.

Catholic schools call themselves as such and NC schools call themselves christian schools:shrug:

Just the way it is:shrug:

May I ask a question?

What is the average tuition at Catholic schools for elementary, middle school, and high school?

I’ve heard some people on this Board say that tuition is “outrageous” at Catholic schools.

Our public schools were abominable when my kids were growing up (ALL of our high schools were on the State Watch List, and over half of the elementary schools).

We sent our kids to a private, secular college prep school. The tuition in high school was around ten thousand dollar a year per child. We got a break because of an academic scholarship for one child, and a need scholarship for another child. But it still cost us around fourteen thousand total per year to send our two daughters to this school. Needless to say, we didn’t save any money towards our retirement during those years! (And we still haven’t because of college bills.)

It was a fantastic school, BTW, and worth every penny.

As for the OP question, since I’m Catholic, I won’t enter a Poll answer. But I converted to Catholicism after my kids graduated from high school, so I’ll post my answer in the thread, if you don’t mind.

My answer is, YES, I would have sent my kids to a Catholic school if it was the BEST school in the city. In fact, many, many kids leave the private prep school in our city and go to the large Catholic high school because it is such an excellent school and charges a lot less than ten thousand per year.

My criteria is not tuition or religious training (I can do that at home), but whether or not a school is the BEST school-

1. What percentage of the students go to college, not just the local community college, but to universities and colleges out of the city?

2. What percentage of the students get accepted to the “Ivy League” colleges?

3. What percentage of the students end up working in professional careers or as CEOs of companies? (In our city, 70% of the CEOs of all the companies are graduates of our prep school.)

4. How do the standardized test scores compare to other schools?

5. How many AP classes are offered, and what percentage of the students receive 4s and 5s on the AP exams?

6. How do the students place in various academic competitions (Latin Exam, WYSE, Math Olympics, Spelling Bee, Geography Bee, etc.)

7. What are the arts and sports opportunities?

8. Does the school require volunteer hours to graduate?

9. How does the school encourage the practice of religious faith among its student body?

10. Are the students friendly? Is there a family feeling in the school?

These are questions that I would ask to determine whether a school is the best. My husband and I determined early on that education was one of our top priorities with our daughters and we sacrificed to send them to school. We’re glad we did. Good investment.

Well, education in the States in general has been seriously underwhelming lately – illiteracy is on the rise, our students are getting soundly whipped by those of other countries in math and science, the English language is deteriorating with the rise of text messaging, grown people can’t find Iraq on a map, and so on and so forth. So I suppose it’s really no surprise that parochial schools are following suit; I’m just disappointed, knowing what the Church has done for education in the past. Dragging Europe through the Middle Ages was quite an accomplishment in that regard!

Catholic schools have been rightly famous for the quality of their education for a long, long time – it’s hard to beat a legacy of intellectualism and scholasticism that kept literacy alive after the fall of Rome, gave the world Augustine, Ambrose, Anselm, Aquinas, Albertus Magnus (and that’s just getting started on the As!). But more and more I see that spirit of intellect and questioning being shoved aside and repressed. It’s disheartening :frowning:

I am Catholic, single and childless, but I do have a question regarding schools. In my community, there are Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, and non-denominational Christian schools. Do any other Christian denominations have schools? I know that most denominations have colleges, but I am asking about elementary schools and high schools.

Methodists do; I can’t think of any others off-hand, but I’m pretty sure they exist.

Nah I’ve been to a Catholic school and if I was an adult theres no way I or my husband would consider letting our adopted son go to a Christian school, even if it does save us money.

There is an Episcopal school in our area and a Quaker school starting up.

Yes, we did consider it as a possibility at least in passing, but we decided to homeschool as we really can’t afford the tuition to any private school we would consider and the Catholic schools are not very close by where we live now. We are actually following a classical philosophy of education similar to that traditionally used (as I understand it) by many Catholic schools (though we make some modifications, as you might imagine). I do not fault the Catholic educational system in academics and would choose it over many of the private Christian schools in our area for that reason. I would prefer to do it for no earlier than late elementary, however, as the child would be better equipped developmentally at that point to distinguish between the religious content of the school and our religion.

Our area is replete with private Christian schools-- Baptist, Episcopal, Lutheran, Quaker (just forming), Adventist, Presbyterian, Chruch of God, Assembly of God, Church of Christ, Full Gospel, as well as a number that describe themselves as independent or non-sectarian Christian or just Christian—as well as a couple of large secular college prep, Montessori and Jewish. The lowest tuition tends to be in the more conservative Christian schools, as they look on it as an outreach ministry and subsidize tuition, particularly for church members. I don’t know if the others such as the Catholic school system (and it is a large system) do the same. The website that lists the tuition for the various schools in our area is down right now, but I seem to remember the Catholic schools as being about in the middle of the range.

Wow, you have a lot more variety where you live. Where I live, there are only Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran and non-denominational Christian schools. There are Jewish and Montessori schools also. None of the other denominations you mentioned have schools here.

Well, we are in the middle of the Bible Belt. The Quaker school is just forming, the Episcopal one is only a few years old. Not sure about some of the others, though many of the Christian schools have been here for decades.

I might do a little research on the history of schools in Cleveland. I don’t know if there ever were any Episcopal schools. I know that the Episcopal Church used to be much bigger (most of the late 19th-early 20th century business and political leaders were Episcopalians). Now, the denomination is in decline here. It would be interesting to see if all those people who used to live on Millionaire’s Row (Euclid Ave. in the early 20th century) sent their children to an Episcopal school, private school or public school.

I used to work at some Christian Reformed schools. Wonderful schools, by the way.

Wow. After all this time I’ve read your posts, I never knew you are a teacher. :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.