Question for Tridentine Mass goers who also attend Novus Ordo Masses

To those Tridentine Mass devotees who also frequently attend Novus Ordo Masses (such as for daily Mass in the case of those who attend Tridentine Masses on Sunday) – do you ever take your Tridentine missal with you to a Novus Ordo Mass if only to use it to say certain traditional prayers for before Mass or after Mass (e.g. prayer of St. Ambrose, prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas, Anima Christi, Adoro Te Devote, prayer of St. Bonaventure, etc.)?

[quote=DavidJoseph]To those Tridentine Mass devotees who also frequently attend Novus Ordo Masses (such as for daily Mass in the case of those who attend Tridentine Masses on Sunday) – do you ever take your Tridentine missal with you to a Novus Ordo Mass if only to use it to say certain traditional prayers for before Mass or after Mass (e.g. prayer of St. Ambrose, prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas, Anima Christi, Adoro Te Devote, prayer of St. Bonaventure, etc.)?
[/quote]

I don’t bring my Tridentine Missal with me to a Novus Ordo Mass. I make my offering before Mass and I like to talk to Jesus in my own words after receiving Him in Holy Communion.

I will bring my Tridentine Missal with me to prayer, as I like to read the daily reading and say other prayers contained in my Missal.

That’s exactly what I do! :smiley:

Father Lassance MIssal

God bless you and keep you.
:wink:

in one the local parishes here, that i attend on the days my parish doesn’t have daily mass, a lady uses her TLM missal and follows that during the mass (ie kneeling during the entrance of the priest, opening prayer, etc…)

I take my 1962 missal to mass with me, mainly because of all the wonderful prayers it has in it, that i havent been able to find
in a 1970 missal. The meditations before and after mass, as well
as the beautiful psalms for meditation after communion are awesome. Its an Angelus Press missal by the way.

I do not bring my 1962 missal to the Novus Ordo Mass, but I do read it at home for the prayers.

I have been to a total of three Novus Ordo Masses since the election of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. I think that I may have brought my Father Lasance missal to perhaps the second one, but I don’t think that I used it.

The third Novus Ordo Mass mentioned above I arrived at shortly before the close. I went because I had something(nice) to talk to the Priest about.

I don’t like to go to Novus Ordo, it’s too liturgically upsetting to me. Of course it’s valid, but that doesn’t mean I have to go to a Novus Ordo Mass. I instead go to a valid and licit Tridentine Mass.

I do not generally bring the Missal itself, but I do bring a devotional book called Blessed be God. It contains the entire Traditional Mass in it but is not technically a Missal. It has a number of devotions, novenas. prayers, litanies and meditations in it. The N.O Masses that I attend are fairly conservative from what I have seen, and always have a rosary afterwards…

I go to a different parish for daily Mass (this one does not have the indult), but they actually say the old “Prayers after Low Mass” after each daily Mass–pretty cool.

I have come to the point where I could tolerate the liturgy at the Novus Odo Mass but it is the content of the homilies that I now find more upsetting than the liturgical abuses. They are often not sound Catholic teaching and indeed misleading to the faithful who depend on hearing the truth from the pulpit.

I think we’re getting off topic, judging from the previous 2 posts.

[quote=DavidJoseph]I think we’re getting off topic, judging from the previous 2 posts.
[/quote]

Mine was kind of on topic–old Missal prayers at the new Mass…

[quote=DavidJoseph]To those Tridentine Mass devotees who also frequently attend Novus Ordo Masses (such as for daily Mass in the case of those who attend Tridentine Masses on Sunday) – do you ever take your Tridentine missal with you to a Novus Ordo Mass if only to use it to say certain traditional prayers for before Mass or after Mass (e.g. prayer of St. Ambrose, prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas, Anima Christi, Adoro Te Devote, prayer of St. Bonaventure, etc.)?
[/quote]

YES!

While not a regular Tridentine Mass goer, by far the best Novus Ordo missal I have encountered is one published by the Midwest Theological Forum. Not only does it have some Latin propers, but also a rather extensive “Prayers and Devotions” section. Regarding prayers before and after Mass, the Missal includes:

[Prayers Before Mass]
Prayer of St. Ambrose, Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas, Prayer to the Virgin Mary, Prayer to St. Joseph (for priests), Statement of Intention (for priests), Prayer of St. Anselm before Communion (for priests), Prayer to Angels and Saints

[Prayers After Mass]
Placeat (Prayer to the Blessed Trinity), Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas, Prayer of St. Bonaventure, Aspirationes ad S. Redemptorem, Oblatio Sui, Ad Iesum Christum Crucifixum, Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary, Prayer to St. Joseph, Oratio Universalis, Obsecro Te, Fiat, Adimpleatur, E Doctrina Duodecim Apostolorum, Canticum Trium Pueorum, Psalmus 2, Oratio ad S. Michael Archangelum, and a Litany of Humility.

Many of these prayers I find also in the 1962 Missal. Personally, I only regularly pray the Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas (a patron Saint) both before and after Communion as well as the “Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary” before Communion. It is very unfortunate that I don’t pray more of those devotions…

I hope this helps!

Pax,
Jimmy

Actually, I’ve been using my Roman Missal at the latin Mass! I sem to have misplaced my tlm missal (St Andrew’s) and have found I am very happy and comfortable using my Roman Missal in the latin mass… interestingly, I arrive at exactly the same points - the kyrie, sanctus, agnus dei, etc. I have the benefit of the added scriptural readings, too. My Roman Missal has some beautiful prayers for before and after Communion, too.
This was not planned, but I get the best of both worlds and this way have a strong sense that I am participating at THE Mass of the Church - not A Mass!

[quote="DavidJoseph, post:1, topic:30043"]
To those Tridentine Mass devotees who also frequently attend Novus Ordo Masses (such as for daily Mass in the case of those who attend Tridentine Masses on Sunday) -- do you ever take your Tridentine missal with you to a Novus Ordo Mass if only to use it to say certain traditional prayers for before Mass or after Mass (e.g. prayer of St. Ambrose, prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas, Anima Christi, Adoro Te Devote, prayer of St. Bonaventure, etc.)?

[/quote]

Yes, I've done that before.

To those Tridentine Mass devotees who also frequently attend Novus Ordo Masses (such as for daily Mass in the case of those who attend Tridentine Masses on Sunday) -- do you ever take your Tridentine missal with you to a Novus Ordo Mass if only to use it to say certain traditional prayers for before Mass or after Mass (e.g. prayer of St. Ambrose, prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas, Anima Christi, Adoro Te Devote, prayer of St. Bonaventure, etc.)?

[/quote]

Yes.

[/quote]

I don't frequent the OF Mass but when I do go I carry my "Catholic Prayer Book" by Fr. Hardon. It contains all the prayers I usually recite, a huge variety of special prayers I occasionally require and conveniently fits in my pocket.

that I bring my Missal to the NO Mass I go to with my wife. I concentrate on praying out of the missal. I have to play catch up at the beginning of Mass since the prayers at the foot of the altar have been eliminated in the NO missal.

I follow the postures of the traditional missal - i.e. kneeling at the beginning of Mass. genuflect during the Creed, no hand shaky thing, etc., etc.

When I have to go to the NO I leave my Missal at home but instead I take my "Christian Warfare" book. It has the TLM but loaded with other prayers and devotions.

I mostly try to pay attention to the Mass but the Warfare comes in handy during the sermons, the infuriating intercessions, Communion, and the High Five of Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.