Question from a Seeking Jew

Hi everyone,
I’ve been reading the post on here for quite some time, and I just decided to register today. I’ve come across the term “cafeteria Catholic” in alot of posts. Can someone please explain to me what this means? Forgive my ignorance, but I don’t know alot about the Catholic faith, I’m just starting to explore it in depth. Thanks.

Goodday sir and welcome!

A “cafeteria catholic” is one who picks and chooses what he wants to believe in Catholicism. Thus he calls himself Catholic, but may or may not agree with some major issues that Catholicism teaches.

The term “cafeteria X” could be applied to any group really.

[quote=Jew_Man_73]Hi everyone,
I’ve been reading the post on here for quite some time, and I just decided to register today. I’ve come across the term “cafeteria Catholic” in alot of posts. Can someone please explain to me wht this means? Forgive my ignorance, but I don’t know alot about the Catholic faith, I’m just starting to explore it in depth. Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi There! :wave: I hope you get all the answers you seek.

[quote=Jew_Man_73]Hi everyone,
I’ve been reading the post on here for quite some time, and I just decided to register today. I’ve come across the term “cafeteria Catholic” in alot of posts. Can someone please explain to me wht this means? Forgive my ignorance, but I don’t know alot about the Catholic faith, I’m just starting to explore it in depth. Thanks.
[/quote]

First of all: W E L C :wave: M E to the forum.

The Term “cafeteria Catholic” refers to a Catholic who picks and chooses what teaching of the Church they want to believe. For example, the Church is opposed to use of birth control, a Cafeteria Catholic will say, “Well that does not apply to me because…” or “I elect not to follow that teaching.” How many Jewish people do you know who work on the Sabbath or eat cheese burgers … it’s the same thing.

How many Jewish people do you know who work on the Sabbath or eat cheese burgers … it’s the same thing.

I thought Levitical Law prohibited eating pork, not beef. :confused:

Thank you everybody. Now that you all have explained it, the term makes perfect sense. In that respect, there are alot of “cafeteria Jews” too. By the way everyone, I grew up as a nominal Protestant (Me and my parents attended church every now and then and never prayed or read the Bible) and decided to convert to Judaism as an adult, since I was biologically half-Jewish. I haven’t attented temple in a while, though, because something is missing. I’m not sure what, but SOMETHING. I’ve visited alot of different temples, but none of them are fulfilling to me. I’ve been researching church history lately and the Catholic Church keeps coming up again and again. I’m sorry if this sounds rambling, but I’m seeking. My condolences to all Catholics on the death of the Pope, by the way. He was a righteous man.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]I thought Levitical Law prohibited eating pork, not beef. :confused:/QUOTE
Yes, it does prohibit eating pork, but it also prohbits the mixing of meat and dairy products. Therefore, no cheeseburgers.
[/quote]

[quote=Jew_Man_73]Thank you everybody. Now that you all have explained it, the term makes perfect sense. In that respect, there are alot of “cafeteria Jews” too. By the way everyone, I grew up as a nominal Protestant (Me and my parents attended church every now and then and never prayed or read the Bible) and decided to convert to Judaism as an adult, since I was biologically half-Jewish. I haven’t attented temple in a while, though, because something is missing. I’m not sure what, but SOMETHING. I’ve visited alot of different temples, but none of them are fulfilling to me. I’ve been researching church history lately and the Catholic Church keeps coming up again and again. I’m sorry if this sounds rambling, but I’m seeking. My condolences to all Catholics on the death of the Pope, by the way. He was a righteous man.
[/quote]

welcome, jew_man_73, and no need to apologize.

thank you for the condolences.

we’re praying for your search. hope it will be fruitful.

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry to derail the thread a little.
[/quote]

[quote=antiaphrodite]welcome, jew_man_73, and no need to apologize.

thank you for the condolences.

we’re praying for your search. hope it will be fruitful.
[/quote]

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your prayers.

[quote=Jew_Man_73]I grew up as a nominal Protestant
[/quote]

:rotfl: What’s a normal Protestant :rotfl:

Just kidding. When I was a “Normal Protestant”, I too felt something was missing in my life too… I converted to Catholicism in 1998.

We are here for you, we hope you stick around and post for a while.

If you are searching this is a good place to learn about Catholicism but if you know any Catholics it would be an even better idea to attend mass a couple of times with them, meet the priest and talk to him about your search. I think you may be getting a call home to the Catholic Church. Be sure to vist some of the other threads. Anyway, welcome to the forums and thanks for the kind words about the Pope. :slight_smile:

[quote=dhgray]:rotfl: What’s a normal Protestant :rotfl:

Just kidding. When I was a “Normal Protestant”, I too felt something was missing in my life too… I converted to Catholicism in 1998.

We are here for you, we hope you stick around and post for a while.
[/quote]

I actually visited a Catholic church this past week. Not sure why, but I cried. I’m not normally a crier.

[quote=Jew_Man_73]Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your prayers.
[/quote]

you’re very welcome!:slight_smile:

:blessyou:

[quote=Lance]If you are searching this is a good place to learn about Catholicism but if you know any Catholics it would be an even better idea to attend mass a couple of times with them, meet the priest and talk to him about your search. I think you may be getting a call home to the Catholic Church. Be sure to vist some of the other threads. Anyway, welcome to the forums and thanks for the kind words about the Pope. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thank you. I did visit this past week. And the Pope’s death saddens me immensely. I feel a great love for him, but I’m also happy that his suffering is over and he’s with the Lord, now. I heard a rabbi on TV the other day say that the world has lost one of the 36 Truly Righteous, and I agree with that. He will be missed.

Welcome to Catholic forum Jew_Man_73! If you’re looking for answers to Catholicism you’ll find it here. I’m a cradle Catholic…that’s one that was born from Catholic parents…and I’ve learned a lot myself. I use to go to mass each Sunday, because we have an obligation to go, but I often wondered why people went to daily mass. I started reading the lives of the Saints and Q&A on EWTN and it finally dawned on me about the greatness of the mass, the graces given, and the closeness one can come to Our Almighty Father EACH DAY! I also understand much of what Pope John Paul II preached about. After more than 50 yrs. of being Catholic I’m truly understanding how lucky I am to be a Catholic. :thumbsup: :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

God Bless you and may you find the truth. :gopray2:

God Bless you and may you find the truth. :gopray2:

Thank you very much. I just started to post today, and already I have received many encouraging and loving replies. I never had much of a foundation in Christianity, my foundation has been in Judaism. You don’t have to be Jewish to have an idea of what I’m going through. My Jewish faith is leaving me hollow. Reading the TANAKH and the Talmud is unfulfilling. Observing the dietary laws leaves me feeling empty, as does attending Shabbat. That’s why I quit going. Thank you for your prayers. They mean alot.

I recommend you contact Rosalind Moss who is a Jewish convert to Catholicism

forum.catholic.com/member.php?u=19

Here’s a link to some tapes by her.
stjosephradio.com/pages/tapes/rosalind-moss.htm

Here’s some background on her.
catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?art_id=6485

Welcome to the forums! :wave:

God Bless,
Grant

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.