Question from Non-Catholic regarding Exorcism

So I was asked this question by a non-Catholic regarding exorcisms and I am keeping it on the vocations forum because I want a correct and succinct answer about the person doing the Rite not the actual Rite itself. Currently is the Rite only allowed to be performed by priests or are sisters also allowed to perform this. My gut reaction was no - it was only allowed to be performed by priests since this was a Rite that lay people should not be going any where near. But if someone could give me the correct answer I would greatly appreciate it.. God bless.

If your question is related to who may, according to the Roman Catholic canons, conduct the major Rite of Exorcism, I'll leave that to a Roman Catholic to answer-- but I believe it is only with the authorization of the local bishop, and may only be conducted by one who is in the Holy Orders of Priest or Bishop.

However, within other Christian communions, there are those who also use the old Latin Rite when necessary. I was authorized by my bishop to use it in the care of a family, and I will tell you, I cannot imagine a lay person attempting the rigors and dangers of this Rite, nor could I ever recommend it.

My personal recommendation, regardless of whether your friend is non-Catholic, is to have them discuss this with the office of the diocesan bishop, and hopefully be refered to someone within the diocese authorized by him to work in this field. I have found over the years, that when dealing with the diabolic, our churches tend to be much more cooperative in serving the laity who are oppressed.

Peace be with you.

[quote="joanofarc2008, post:1, topic:243985"]
So I was asked this question by a non-Catholic regarding exorcisms and I am keeping it on the vocations forum because I want a correct and succinct answer about the person doing the Rite not the actual Rite itself. Currently is the Rite only allowed to be performed by priests or are sisters also allowed to perform this. My gut reaction was no - it was only allowed to be performed by priests since this was a Rite that lay people should not be going any where near. But if someone could give me the correct answer I would greatly appreciate it.. God bless.

[/quote]

[quote="joanofarc2008, post:1, topic:243985"]

[/quote]

Code of Canon Law

Canon 1172 - Paragraph 1 - No one can legitimately perform exorcism over the possessed unless he has obtained special and express permission from the local ordinary.

Paragraph 2 - Such permission from the local ordinary is to be granted only to a presbyter endowed with piety, knowledge, prudence and integrity of life.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.