Question in regards to the book of Judges?

In the book of Judges, in verse 17:4-5, it talks about how Micaia, has an image sculpted and he put it in his altar. Later on in the chapter he gets a Levite and makes him priest. Can anybody elaborate on this please

If you keep on reading this ends up as the origin story for the idolatry of the tribe of Dan.

Do you have a specific question?

[quote="Aelred_Minor, post:2, topic:328165"]
If you keep on reading this ends up as the origin story for the idolatry of the tribe of Dan.

Do you have a specific question?

[/quote]

My gf and I are reading the bible. She's a Protestant, when we came upon that verse I told her look at what that's saying. Ironically my bible said that they made other gods for him, but in her bible it says that they made images. (You know the big argument that Protestants make against us for statues)

Read the commentary here: haydock1859.tripod.com/id581.html

If the problem you are having is with images remember that God required that two cherubim be fashioned and placed in he holy of holies so there were statues in the holiest part of the Tabernacle and later the Temple. Also there were to be carving of cherubim, palm trees, open flowers, etc., all over the walls of the Temple. So images of holy/heavenly creatures were not only allowed, but required, so clearly the prohibition against holy images was not what the Decalogue taught.
Grace and peace,
Bruce

Yes I completely understand that. The problem I was seeing, I don’t know if I would call it problem but more of a head scratcher was that in my gf’s bible it said images, in mine it stated God’s. which are 2 totally different words. I know that statues are not harmful, although Protestant see it as evil. What god does not like is for us to be pagan per say and call statues god.

The word in question is the Hebrew word, pasal, which in just about every Bible translation (including Catholic ones) is translated “idol” (the only translation I found that renders it “god” is the DRV, which must be what you’re using). In context, “god” is a defensible rendering here since, for all practical purposes, in ancient Israelite culture an image/idol was synonymous with the “god” it was meant to represent. For them, the image WAS the god. This is in strict contradiction, by the way, to the way Catholics regard images: we don’t equate an image with the person being represented or worshiped it, it is merely a representation and both a way of honoring them and as a reminder that aids our prayer life and devotion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.