Question on 2 Thessalonians 2:11

Hi,

I have a question regarding the above verse. This strong deception that God permits to be sent:

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

Is this delusion relativism? It is essentially choosing self over God.

It very well could be thought of as moral relativism, which ever seeks clever excuses for doing evil. But I think Paul makes it clear that certain people clearly choose evil and lies, over goodness and truth. They are deceived yes, but they choose to be deceived.

This is from the NLT translation:

"2:10 He will use every kind of evil deception to fool those on their way to destruction, because they refuse to love and accept the truth that would save them. 11 So God will cause them to be greatly deceived, and they will believe these lies. 12 Then they will be condemned for enjoying evil rather than believing the truth."

Okay thanks for your response. I will never understand how people can choose the path of death like this. Maybe even God doesn't understand.

[quote="unfuf, post:3, topic:316301"]
Okay thanks for your response. I will never understand how people can choose the path of death like this. Maybe even God doesn't understand.

[/quote]

I think they get caught up in the world, and all its pomp and wealth, and they just don't think about the future or the afterlife. They would rather that there was nothing after we die, than to think there could be rewards or punishment. That way they can keep right on sinning, and not worry about any repercussions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.