Question on anointing of the sick

Imagine a terminally ill Catholic patient who is in a state of sin, but is unconscious and unable to confess his sins.

Does anointing of the sick restore such a person to a state of grace that a good confession would have?

Hi!

…this is a complicated question… it needs more info… for instance… I’ve known at least one ex-Catholic that requested, from a very saintly woman, that she not pray for him or offer any Mass for him at his death… in such a staunch case of rejection of God it is difficult to ascertain what, if any, benefit would be gained by the act of Faith of others around him.

Yet, a person that lapses into unconsciousness or a coma but had the intent of Reconciling him/herself with God would clearly benefit from the Sacrament.

I would dare to think that even in the previous case, the Faithful supplicant’s effort could very well be enough for the Holy Spirit to Act upon the soul of that infirmed/dying person. I base this upon Scriptures:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]24 For we are saved by hope. But hope that is seen, is not hope. For what a man seeth, why doth he hope for? 25 But if we hope for that which we see not, we wait for it with patience. 26 Likewise** the Spirit also helpeth our infirmity. For we know not what we should pray for as we ought; but the Spirit himself asketh for us with unspeakable groanings**

. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts, knoweth what the Spirit desireth; because he asketh for the saints according to God. 28 And we know that to them that love God, all things work together unto good, to such as, according to his purpose, are called to be saints. (Romans 8:24-28)
The Holy Spirit can very well search the heart and mind of those who stubbornly outwardly reject God… but that within themselves fear and desperation may cause them to turn to God right before they lose their ability to make an outward/conscious profession of Faith.

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Sometimes.

Simply put,

Only God knows, which makes it complicated.

I will ponder this question in my sleep.

This actually happens all the time as the families of people who have been away from the church for decades request anointing as they are in their last days.

How is it that because an ex-catholic asks someone not to pray for them or to have a catholic mass said for them they have a staunch rejection of god? I’m an ex-catholic and have not rejected god. I simply don’t share catholic or other Christian beliefs about god. And really don’t know whether there is a god “out there” or not, but I’m open. I believe in a divine presence.
Personally if anyone wants to pray for me they are quite welcome to. The same for having a mass said. If a Buddhist, Taoist, Hindu or Muslim wishes to say prayers on my behalf they are quite welcome as well.

Hi!

…what you are describing is sheer liberalism… ‘believe in a god (any) god or in a force (any force) or in an entity (any entity) because what is important is that you believe.’

…yeah, that and a dime will still not get you a telephone call from a payphone (if there are any left–though, at least in NYC, you can get to call anywhere in the US for free from street kiosks).

I do not know if you’ve noticed it but you’ve just checked your own response/query…

If a person is a true Believer in Yahweh God, he/she would not hesitate to accept an offer of prayers for his/her wellbeing from another Believer in Yahweh God–though I would not venture as far as you since Yahweh God is a Jealous God Who does not share His Glory.

…as for proof, Jesus did not claim to be one of the ways to Salvation… He Claimed that He is the Only Way!

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.