Question on baptism

I have heard it said than anyone can validly baptise as long as it's in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, is this true?
And if it is, what instances would this be neccesary?

For instance: Me and my friend are walking down the road and have been talking about the Catholic faith for some time and he is 100% sure that he wants to become Catholic, however, he was never baptized. So we come up on a pond and I baptize him, is it valid? I'm going to assume he knows he has to go through RCIA and be confirmed. Or would he need to be re-baptized in the Church?

[quote="NorthTexan88, post:1, topic:289694"]
I have heard it said than anyone can validly baptise as long as it's in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, is this true?
And if it is, what instances would this be neccesary?

For instance: Me and my friend are walking down the road and have been talking about the Catholic faith for some time and he is 100% sure that he wants to become Catholic, however, he was never baptized. So we come up on a pond and I baptize him, is it valid? I'm going to assume he knows he has to go through RCIA and be confirmed. Or would he need to be re-baptized in the Church?

[/quote]

The baptism would be valid (provided you used the Trinitarian formula and had proper intent), but not licit, unless he were in danger of death.

And since it would not be licit, it would be a sinful ( I think grave matter) on your part.

Keep in mind that baptism in the Catholic Church is a sacrament. To baptize someone simply because you happen to be near a body of water is something we should not do.

[quote="tafan, post:3, topic:289694"]
And since it would not be licit, it would be a sinful ( I think grave matter) on your part.

[/quote]

Based on the fact that he is asking questions about this, I don't think it would rise to the level of grave/mortal sin, since the knowledge aspect would be missing. (he didn't know it would be a sin)

Before beginning RCIA he should relate this to the priest, and when it comes time for the Sacrament of Baptism they may choose to do a conditional baptism. I’m not exactly sure about that, but it should be spoken of to the priest. Obviously you have no official record of the Baptism, and it may not have been done correctly.

Thanks for the help everyone! I wasn’t aware that it was a dangerous sin.
So basically it’s only ok if the person is on the cusp of death…so like a missionary in the middle of Saudi Arabia or something?

[quote="NorthTexan88, post:7, topic:289694"]
Thanks for the help everyone! I wasn't aware that it was a dangerous sin.
So basically it's only ok if the person is on the cusp of death...so like a missionary in the middle of Saudi Arabia or something?

[/quote]

In danger of death, yes, and not just in the Middle East. :thumbsup:

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.