Question on Baptism.

At Easter Vigil something came to my mind and I thought maybe someone could answer it. Older people who are baptized into the Church have to say I do to questions regarding acceptance of the faith. This is fine, of course. However how in that case are infant baptisms acceptable seeing as the infant isn’t required obviously to answer any questions about their faith. Which yes it is affirmed in confirmation but is infant baptism and adult baptism a totally different way of belief? Like is the faith rested on the parents in infant baptism where as it’s on the individual in later in life baptisms?

Yes, that’s exactly what it is. The parents answer for the child and are responsible to make sure he/she is instructed in and lives the faith. In time the child gets to answer these questions him/herself at Confirmation.

Children also restate their baptismal profession of faith the same way adults do when the congregation is asked to respond at Easter to the same questions of faith, and essentially do when they recite the Apostles Creed or the Nicene Creed. They don’t have to wait until Confirmation to make those promises themselves.

and Godparents.

Because adults must prove their faith

Along with parents, this is the role of the sponsor(s).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.