Question on book of Machabee

I know Protestants do not use the book of Machabee. I read arguments for both sides why that is, so I don’t think I need that re-hashed. I am curious on one point made by the critics though…they say that Jesus and the Apostles never quote or refer to any book in the Apocrypha. Is that true? They say Judas quotes it but it does not mean anything because Paul also quotes pagan literature. Thanks.

Neither Jesus nor the New Testament authors also quote anything from Nahum, Obadiah, Esther, either, and yet they are canonical Scripture even for Protestants.

The “quote test” is a major fail.

Ok thank you

You might find this blog post interesting

catholicdefense.blogspot.com/2012/09/brian-edwards-in-continuing-my-search.html

I did, thank you. Here’s an oldie:
scripturecatholic.com/deuterocanon.html

The Sadducees question about the woman with seven husbands is based on the story about the woman with seven husbands from the Book of Tobit.

The same day Sad’ducees came to him, who say that there is no resurrection; and they asked him a question, saying, “Teacher, Moses said, `If a man dies, having no children, his brother must marry the widow, and raise up children for his brother.’ Now there were seven brothers among us; the first married, and died, and having no children left his wife to his brother. So too the second and third, down to the seventh. After them all, the woman died. In the resurrection, therefore, to which of the seven will she be wife? For they all had her.” (Matthew 22:23-28)

*Then the young man said to the angel, "Brother Azarias, I have heard that the girl has been given to seven husbands and that each died in the bridal chamber. (Tobit 6:13)

I have given my daughter to seven husbands, and when each came to her he died in the night. (Tobit 7:11)*

-Tim-

The desolating sacrilege from Matthew 24:15 was prophesied by Daniel and mentioned in the narrative from 1 Maccabees. 1 Maccabees 1 is about how the Hellenist Jews set up an idol on the altar of burnt offering inside the Temple.

Now on the fifteenth day of Chislev, in the one hundred and forty-fifth year, they erected a desolating sacrilege upon the altar of burnt offering. They also built altars in the surrounding cities of Judah, (1 Maccabees 1:54)

In both cases - at the time of the Maccabeen revolt and the time of the Roman invasion - a desolating sacrilege was set up in the Temple and in both cases the Temple was torn down shortly after.

-Tim-

Also scales fall from Tobit’s eyes in Tobit 11 and from Paul’s eyes in Acts 9.

Sorry for the multiple posts. I’m going through some notes.

-Tim-

Actually The Septuagent, is the OT Canon handed on to The Apostles and continually used from the time of Christ down to our very time by The Catholic Church. The Septuagint order for the Old Testament is evident in the earliest Christian Bibles (Jennifer M. Dines, The Septuagint, Michael A. Knibb, Ed., London: T&T Clark, 2004)

The most widely used list of Sacred Books was the Septuagint which includes the dendrocanon books, including Maccabees, was used from the 3rd Century BC on. The Septuagint does contain all of the Sacred Texts including the 39 used by Protestants.
This Septuagint translation is the one quoted in the New Testament, The quotations from the Old Testament found in the New are in the main taken from the Septuagint; and even where the citation is indirect the influence of this version is clearly seen.
(Source "“Bible Translations – The Septuagint”. JewishEncyclopedia.com. Retrieved February 2012.)

The Pauline quotations from OT Scripture, are all taken from the Septuigent version. (From “Paul, the Apostle of the Gentiles”. JewishEncyclopedia.com. February 2012.)

The Septuagint books were use by the preponderance of Jews from the 3rd Century until the 1st Century and by All Christians until the 16th Century,.
In the 16th Century some men in Western Europe, following their own false, man made doctrines, decided to remove some books from the Bible.
Sadly, many have chosen to follow the teachings of those men.

In short, it is that version that contains the deuterocanon, that was used in the main in OT citations used in the New Testament.

Ethiopian Jews today still use the Septuagint.

So do the Greek-speaking Churches. :wink:

thank you, i will stop reviewing this thread now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.