Question on canon law

Hello, I read that in this article:newadvent.org/cathen/06375b.htm

Gambling is forbidden by the canon law even under the pain of excommunication.

Does this still apply today? Where can I find it in the bible? What about poker games? Is it sinful? According to that article quoted from catholic encyclopedia it is. I couldn’t find it in the bible. Help me out please. Thank you

I couldn’t find anything in the current Code of Canon Law and canons of past Codes not mentioned in the current Code are considered abrogated. The *Catechism of the Catholic *Church says:
2413 Games of chance (card games, etc.) or wagers are not in themselves contrary to justice. They become morally unacceptable when they deprive someone of what is necessary to provide for his needs and those of others. The passion for gambling risks becoming an enslavement. Unfair wagers and cheating at games constitute grave matter, unless the damage inflicted is so slight that the one who suffers it cannot reasonably consider it significant. (source)

How come church’s view on what is regarded as sinful once, can be changed in the future as not sinful? For example, sisters not wearing veils when praying. This is actually opposed to what st Paul says that women when praying should wear a veil. Why does the church change views like that? It feels unstable to me. I like the old views.

The action of not wearing a veil in and of itself was not sinful. What was sinful was the willful disobedience of legitimate authority. Once the Church decided that veils or, rather, covered heads were no longer required, failing to wear a veil, hat, scarf, or what have you, was no longer disobedience.

These practices are disciplines, not dogma or doctrine, so the Church can change them.

:twocents:
I think you need to read more closely. While the article does state (emphasis added) *"gambling

was

forbidden by canon law … under pain of excommunication"*, by the end the article admits that such no longer applied in general at the time the article was written, let alone today.
:twocents:

tee

Oh we also don’t do “Greet one another with the Holy Kiss” anymore. We also don’t follow clothing standards fit for ancient times. Otherwise we shall need to wear sackcloth when we mourn. Clothes fit for the desert environment in the Near/Middle East is just not suitable elsewhere such as Artic North or Tropical countries. The culture fit for those times, is changeable. As long as there is no doctrine/morality aspect of it, we do change with the times. What you are referring to is the behavioral norms of the day. There is no sinning aspect of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.