Question on Discernment

It’s supposed to be that every young man go through discernment, determining whether he is meant for marriage, the priesthood, religious or monastic life, and so on. What happens if the man feels called to marriage but keeps on getting older and has not met anyone, and in fact has not dated at all? How is the proper way to interpret this?

In each of my sons lives, it meant they hadn't met the right girl yet. Each of my sons met that special woman close to, or after 40. Maybe that is so for you.
One kept meeting his at a train station, one on a dating site...the other, more recently, through me.
Don't give up hope. My prayers for you. A relieved Mum

It could just mean that you are meant to find your partner later in life. It could also mean that you aren’t looking in the right places. You might try a Catholic dating service such as:

catholicmatch.com/

avemariasingles.com/

Both of these are decent websites. I have been on Catholic Match myself but I am no longer interested in dating because I am discerning a vocation to religious life. :slight_smile:

This sounds familiar to me. I've always been certain I would be a wife and mother, but as I've never had a boyfriend before, I'm starting to wonder if I'm wrong. :shrug:

[quote="Spikenard, post:1, topic:238868"]
It's supposed to be that every young man go through discernment, determining whether he is meant for marriage, the priesthood, religious or monastic life, and so on. What happens if the man feels called to marriage but keeps on getting older and has not met anyone, and in fact has not dated at all? How is the proper way to interpret this?

[/quote]

What purpose is marriage to him?why is he attracted to marriage?please answer.

[quote="valentino, post:5, topic:238868"]
What purpose is marriage to him?why is he attracted to marriage?please answer.

[/quote]

Companionship and babies.

Discernment is thing. After one discerns their call then there is work that must be done.

Do you think that those who discern that their calling is the priesthood or religious life just discern that and poof they are in the seminary or religious house?

No they must work to find the right place for them to follow that calling.

Same goes for those who discern marriage. They must work to find the right partner. They must work at finding people that appeal to them and date them.

Its not easy, it is hard work.

[quote="ByzCath, post:7, topic:238868"]

Its not easy, it is hard work.

[/quote]

It is very very hard work...believe me :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.