Question on examination of conscience

Just a quick question. I am going in for first confession tomorrow and am being confirmed next sunday :slight_smile: but when attempting to remember all of my sins I came upon the fact that I have been a Protestant for the last 17 and a half years the last half of my life I have been an inquirer. Do I confess this fact? Since I firmly believed that being a Protestant was right does it still count as a mortal sin for me the same as it would if someone left the Church and became a Protestant?

Thank you to all replies

Interesting question.

Can you elaborate on how you are going to be confirmed under these circumstances?

Peace,

Liz

The only way being a protestant would be a sin for you would be if you became firmly convinced that the Catholic Church was true and you still resisted conversion. As long as you believed your protestant church was true and correct, you did not sin by belonging. It is understood that the inquiry process takes awhile, so it is not your fault that you did not become Catholic instantly.

Now, you will probably want to mention this fact anyway, because it will help the priest to give you good advice and welcome you to the Church.

Welcome home!

Betsy

Your priest should know that you are entering as a convert–since you haven’t been confirmed yet. You do not need to confess being protestant since at the time you didn’t know any different. If you were baptised as a Catholic and begain attending a protestant church as an adult, you will at least need to confess that you missed your Sunday and Holy Day obligation for X years.

Despite being protestant, there are still plenty of sins (mortal and venial) that all Christians recognize. You will of course have to confess those–lying, stealing, fornication, adultrey, etc.

When you will tell the priest that this is you first confession, or first confession in X years, he will guide you through and ask you any questions he needs to. There are many excellent examination of conscience online. Search around for one (there are many links in this forum or Spirituality also) and go through it prayerfully before you go to confession.

Under what circumstances? That I was Protestant? If that is your question than…I was baptised a few years ago and it was a valid baptism (i.e “I baptise you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit”). Then I have been in RCIA since March. I researched a lot on my own time and was in constant contact with the director and other leaders so I kindof went into an accelerated track so to speak. I was able to say when I wanted to be confirmed and not wait until Easter.

The only way being a protestant would be a sin for you would be if you became firmly convinced that the Catholic Church was true and you still resisted conversion. As long as you believed your protestant church was true and correct, you did not sin by belonging. It is understood that the inquiry process takes awhile, so it is not your fault that you did not become Catholic instantly.

Now, you will probably want to mention this fact anyway, because it will help the priest to give you good advice and welcome you to the Church.

Welcome home!

Betsy

Ok thats what I thought but just wanted to make sure. And thank you I am very excited :slight_smile:

Your priest should know that you are entering as a convert–since you haven’t been confirmed yet. You do not need to confess being protestant since at the time you didn’t know any different. If you were baptised as a Catholic and begain attending a protestant church as an adult, you will at least need to confess that you missed your Sunday and Holy Day obligation for X years.

Despite being protestant, there are still plenty of sins (mortal and venial) that all Christians recognize. You will of course have to confess those–lying, stealing, fornication, adultrey, etc.

When you will tell the priest that this is you first confession, or first confession in X years, he will guide you through and ask you any questions he needs to. There are many excellent examination of conscience online. Search around for one (there are many links in this forum or Spirituality also) and go through it prayerfully before you go to confession.

Again I thought so. So thank you for explaining this. And yes I have looked at many examination of conscience guides and listened to a cd on confession by Fr. Larry Richards (very good) and spent a long time writing down all my sins. After 18 years the list stacks up haha. But I thank God for this Sacrament that all of those will disappear.

Thanks to all

One of the things that Vatican II makes clear is that we are not responsible for the actions that took place 500 years ago, the reason many people belong to non-Catholic churches today. While not confessing being Protestant, you may begin your confession with the background information that you have been one of our separated brothers and sisters and that this is your first confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.