Question on Indulgences

This may be a silly question, but I can’t seem to find the answer in previous posts. If you earn an indulgence, do you have to ask that it be applied? I do several things that, as I understand earn indulgences but I never ask them to be applied to my soul or someone else’s. Does my question make sense? If you don’t ask them to be applied to someone else, do they automatically get applied to your soul?

You can make a general intention that whatever indulgences you may obtain from this time forward be applied in whatever manner you prefer. Of course, God has the final say as to how the graces from indulgences are applied.

[quote=rubinthe]This may be a silly question, but I can’t seem to find the answer in previous posts. If you earn an indulgence, do you have to ask that it be applied? I do several things that, as I understand earn indulgences but I never ask them to be applied to my soul or someone else’s. Does my question make sense? If you don’t ask them to be applied to someone else, do they automatically get applied to your soul?
[/quote]

I don’t see why you would need an indulgence. You’re still in this Earthly life. However, I think you mean penance for your sins. In order to get the indulgence for someone, you have to obviously imply to whom and I would also share the indulgence for others that may not have been prayed for by anyone else since we do not know who exactly is in Purgatory or if a specific person is in Purgatory. You never know how much power your indulgence has, it may be enough to indulge others as well or at least partially. Also remember that the more Grace and Faith you have when praying, the more effective your indulgence will be. I suggest a good confession and reception of the Eucharist first. Also, use the Bible in your prayer wether it be the Rosary or etc.

[quote=rubinthe]If you earn an indulgence, do you have to ask that it be applied? I do several things that, as I understand earn indulgences but I never ask them to be applied
[/quote]

I’m not sure in what way you did not ask them to be applied. To gain an indulgence to begin with, you have to have made or have a general or habitual intention to gain them. So one would not gain them at all if one didn’t know about them.

As Joseph said, however, just make it your general intention now to have them apply to yourself or to a soul in Purgatory, as you like.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.