Question on iPhones during Mass

I use that app Laudate for daily mass readings. If I forget my reading glasses I just make the print larger. Works great for me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Phone ringers can be silenced while you can still use the phone screen to view things. I silence my phone each time I go in a church. I rarely turn it all the way off.

I’ve tried to use the Universalis app during Mass as the readings aren’t printed on our Mass sheet.
I like following along, and actively participating. :blossom:

However, I have had to hide it in the hymnal due to the looks I’ve received. The last few times, I have felt so uncomfortable I don’t use it anymore.

I have occasionally forgotten my missal (no missalettes here) and used an app on my phone instead. In addition to putting the phone on total silence (media and notifications included), I also dim the screen to the minimum luminosity needed to be able to read the text displayed.

I once got my head chopped off after Mass for using a Kindle during Mass (no sound, no light), so I guess there are some people who are going to be upset no matter what precautions you take. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Yes, I hear phones ring during Mass on a regular basis. It annoys me too. :confounded: But frankly, it’s not difficult to use silent mode. I don’t even have to unlock my phone to activate it. If a person regularly attends Mass at a particular time, silent mode can usually be programmed to turn on and off automatically.

I agree that people whose phones don’t include this feature, as well as those who have it on their phones but either don’t know how to use it and aren’t willing to learn or just plain don’t want to use it, should turn off their phones in church. All the rest of us, however… :iphone:

No, it’s not. Even calling it “uncharity” implies fault on the part of the one making the assumption. Maybe the person has bad eyes and the missal text is too small. Maybe it’s just a personal preference and it’s none of your business. Shocking, I know.

Hmm – should we obey the Holy Father?

Hmm, am I using my phone at church to follow the Mass or to read my friends’ Twitter feeds?

I don’t think The Pope would object to me pulling up the order of Mass in Spanish so I could try to pray along with the congregation when there weren’t missals.

Also, any fool knows you don’t take pictures during Mass. You can take them during the opening procession and the closing recession when the priest has already said the Mass is ended.

Our Holy Father said “cell phones in church are a very ugly thing”.

The Holy Father is talking about people who are holding up their phones in church in order to take photos and/or shoot video. This is obviously not what’s being discussed in this thread.

Did he say anything about using translations Mass apps? Etc? Do you think he doesn’t know about those? He said they are a very ugly thing and to put them away.

Yeah, they’re ugly when people are using them to take pictures and videos during Mass instead of praying, which is what he specifically called out. I’m sure reading along with the Gospel is quite a different matter to him.

I think you’re just being overly literal here. Leaving the thread, have a nice day.

He’s talking about using your phones to take pictures and video like it’s a concert. No one is advocating that. We’re talking about someone using their phone the same way you would use a missal.

I’m sure he knows about those.

The article you linked to talks about taking photos and shooting video. I have not heard of the Holy Father objecting specifically to the in-church use of mobile devices as missals or prayer aids. If you have, please provide a link. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I don’t know…did he say “go ahead and use them as a missal”? No. Did he say “use them to translate if you need to”? No. He said “they are very ugly and put them away”. Is it wise to put words in his mouth when he didn’t say those things?

Pope Francis has chided the Catholic faithful for using their mobile phones during Mass.

He said it made him sad when many phones were held up, and even priests and bishops were taking photos.

The pontiff is not known to have used a mobile phone in public since his election and once asked young people to carry Bibles instead of phones.

However, he is an avid user of social media and regularly allows himself to be snapped with pilgrims for selfies.

He has millions of followers on Twitter.

Speaking at his weekly audience in St Peter’s Square in Rome, Pope Francis said that Mass was a time for prayer and not a show.

First link: This is the BBC article of the same information. It is talking about taking photos and shooting video.

Second link: Same. It even mentions photos in its title. The text of the article quotes the Holy Father referring to “raised cellphones.” No one who is following the Mass or praying from a mobile device is going to lift it to face level or higher.

Third link: I can’t access it (no Facebook account).

Photos and video are specifically mentioned. I’m not attributing anything to the Holy Father other than this.

@Catholic21

• Silence your mobile device.
  • Dim the light on your screen to lessen the distraction to others around you. If the app offers an option to choose a background that is not bright white, go for it. Bright objects distract others around you, and this is particularly so if you use a device with a large screen like an iPad or tablet.
  • Disable those pesky notification center banners, popups, badges, and sounds by switching to airplane mode. As a double precaution, turn vibration off for all events that you normally select to vibrate when on silent mode (incoming calls, emails etc.).
  • Open the app you plan to use at Mass and set it to the first text you will read. Then put it in sleep mode.

Yeah. Not the same thing.

Taking someone’s words and using them out of context as you are doing is equally as bad as putting words in their mouth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.