come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

It looks to me there is a bit of a contradiction…God says his Word will not return to him without achieving what God sent it for but how many times this actually doesn’t happen in life ? For example, God says to love one another like we love ourselves, how many times man doesn’t do this? Sure, man choose not to obey God but still isn’t it a contradiction when God states that his word will not return to Him without bearing fruit basically?
I am pretty sure I’m not understanding this passage properly as Scripture can’t be wrong, so please if someone could explain it to me…
thank you and God bless.

Why don’t you put this in scriptural context. Who is the Word who descended from heaven to earth? Did he not accomplish what God sent him for?

When God proclaims his law, does the law not perform its function and convict us of sin and condemn those who are transgressors of the law? The law is not intended to make us righteous. The law condemns us as the sinners that we are. It demonstrates the need for a savior. The gospel then tells us about our savior, brings us to faith, and saves us by grace. The law then acts as a guide to the believer to tell them God’s will for what it looks like to follow Christ. God’s word accomplishes exactly what God has intended it to accomplish.

One really needs to read this in the context of the whole chapter of Isaiah 55 see https://www.blueletterbible.org/esv/isa/55/1/s_734001 the context of the chapter is us cooperating with God by doing what He says, e.g. Listen diligently to me. If you do that then His word that He gives will produce a harvest. If you do not then the word was of little or no effect in your life.

This is a prophecy. God is saying that you can count on His word in prophecy to come true.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.