Question on LOH and CHristina prayer

In christian prayer morning prayer why is the word Alleluia in parentheses after the invitatory antiphon.?

I am leading in the morning and wondering if I say this or leave it absent.?

It’s printed that way because during Lent, it’s omitted.

It sounds like you’re leading soon (tomorrow?) which means Advent. In Advent, the alleluia is still said.

Or possibly added during Paschaltide.

But definitely omitted during Lent, in the Western use.

I have seen it done that way; only adding the Alleluia during the Easter season. But I checked the 4-volume set, and looked at the Advent-only texts to be sure. The alleluia is still there.

Which edition of *Christian Prayer *are you using? I see parenthesized Alleluia’s in neither the Daughters of St Paul nor Catholic Book Publishing editions I have at hand? :confused:
(Except in the various Commons materials – Is that what you meant?)

In any case, these are references from the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours, perhaps they will answer your question (NB There is a difference between the introductory verse, the invitatory antiphon, and other antiphons):

1. Morning prayer and evening prayer begin with the introductory verse, God
    come to my assistance. Lord, make haste to help me. There follows the Glory to
    the Father, with As it was in the beginning and Alleluia (omitted in Lent). This
    introduction is omitted at morning prayer when the invitatory immediately
    precedes it.
  1. If the office of readings is said before morning prayer, the invitatory
    precedes it, as noted (nos. 34-36). Otherwise it begins with the verse, God,
    come to my assistance with the Glory to the Father, As it was in the beginning,
    and the Alleluia (omitted in Lent).
  1. The daytime hours begin with the introductory verse, God come to my
    assistance with the Glory to the Father, As it was in the beginning, and the
    Alleluia (omitted in Lent).
  1. Night prayer begins like the other hours, with the verse, God, come to my
    assistance, the Glory to the Father, As it was in the beginning, and the
    Alleluia (omitted in Lent).
  1. During the Easter season Alleluia is added to all antiphons, unless it
    would clash with the meaning of a particular antiphon.

tee

Somewhere I got the idea that if it is in parenthesis it is used only when one is singing the passage. The instruction for the canticle for the second evening prayer for Sundays where some alleluias are in parenthesis and others are not, seems to imply this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.