Question on Mary and prayer to the saints

One thing I have read regarding prayer to Mary is the idea that “sure, we can pray directly to God, but we are sinful beings, and she is so pure, that she can take our prayers, “clean them up and embellish them”, and present them to God.”

Doesn’t the Bible say He lives to intercede for us? It bothers me that this seems almost like a necessity, like we’re so worthless and sinful that our prayers need all this “finishing up” to be really listened to? Am I misunderstanding? I don’t have a problem with the communion of saints, just the phrasing of this.:frowning:

oneseeker

I have a problem with that particular phrasing, too.

We pray with Mary to Jesus, and of course she prays for us, just as all of our friends pray for us.

I think what the person was most likely trying to get across is that, when Mary prays for us, she prays perfectly, because she has a perfect relationship with God. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t pray in our own stumbling kind of way, and be heard by God - of course we can.

Good Catholics pray to God directly every day, using at least the Our Father prayer along with others (the Sign of the Cross is, as you know, a prayer to the Trinity), and at Mass every Sunday, which is a prayer to God in and of itself.

Yeah, it’s not a great way to put it. Better is the passage that says, “the prayers of the righteous availeth much”. Since Mary and any saint you care to name is way more righteous than me, I want them praying for me and my intentions.

Since Mary and any saint you care to name is way more righteous than me, I want them praying for me and my intentions.

This is worth noting.

In today’s climate which not only celebrates the ‘cult of the individual’ but also emphasizes ‘personal relationships’ and has all but abolished ‘sin’ (I mean, really, people are either far too inherently noble to sin, or if they ‘sin’ they have such a good reason that even calling them ‘sinners’ is the real sin), etc., the idea that we would feel ‘humble’ or ‘unworthy’ before the Lord is, pardon the expression, anathema to many Christians (even some of the Catholic Christians).

It is, however, a point of view that Jesus would have been quite familiar with (“Who, though he was in equality with God, emptied Himself and took the form of a slave… . .etc.”), as well as most of the ECFs and indeed most Christians of the past 2000 years.

Humility is a virtue that has gone onto the back burner today.
Too many confuse it with ‘false humility’ (“Oh, I’m so unimportant” is the response to give to a compliment, when you are fishing to be told the contrary), since they themselves rarely feel humble at all. Entitled, yes. The last generation has been spoon fed the doctrine of ‘self esteem’ to the bursting point. To them, humility is ‘unworthy’, it’s false, and it’s unnecessary.

And that is how they look at the idea of submission (‘icky’ word). Even their ‘submission’ to “God alone” has the prideful connotion that we are totally worthy to walk right up and approach Him, even if we are full of sin, without taking any ‘special’ care in how we approach Him.

Too many have confused God’s ‘love’ with the ‘warm fuzzy’ grandpa type of love. Even the father of the prodigal son, who freely forgave his son, coming to him from ‘a long way off’, was met by a humble son who declared to his father that he wasn’t even worthy to be a son – not by a son swaggering back expecting to be greeted with joy and delight just because he showed up!

Thank goodness God is merciful; we all need it. But we should remember that we never have, and never will, ‘deserve’ that mercy just by ‘calling on the name of the Lord’.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.