Question on mortal sin and communion

I was talking to my uncle the other day on the phone when we got into the discussion of receiving communion in a state of mortal sin. He was raised catholic, but after divorcing his first wife he was told he couldn’t receive communion until his annulment was processed. After discussing this we decided that he wasn’t in mortal sin because he had only devorced his wife, but hadn’t actually dated anyone else so he wasn’t commiting adultry. He has kinda been away from the church for a while and has since remarried after going through the annulment process.

He said that he doesn’t believe that Jesus would have turned anyone that was hungry away from him at the last supper. I was trying to tell him that in the bible it says that receiving communion unworthily is a sin, but couldn’t recall where it was. He is a bit confussed and I would like to help him out a bit. So, does anyone know of where in the bible it says this and if he would have been in mortal sin? Any help and prayers for my uncle would be appreciated.

[quote=Catholicgolfer]I was talking to my uncle the other day on the phone when we got into the discussion of receiving communion in a state of mortal sin. He was raised catholic, but after divorcing his first wife he was told he couldn’t receive communion until his annulment was processed. After discussing this we decided that he wasn’t in mortal sin because he had only devorced his wife, but hadn’t actually dated anyone else so he wasn’t commiting adultry. He has kinda been away from the church for a while and has since remarried after going through the annulment process.

He said that he doesn’t believe that Jesus would have turned anyone that was hungry away from him at the last supper. I was trying to tell him that in the bible it says that receiving communion unworthily is a sin, but couldn’t recall where it was. He is a bit confussed and I would like to help him out a bit. So, does anyone know of where in the bible it says this and if he would have been in mortal sin? Any help and prayers for my uncle would be appreciated.
[/quote]

1Cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord’s death till he come.
1Cor 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
1Cor 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
1Cor 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

I personally don’t know if it was a sin for him to get a divorce and to not date or marry. I know if he DID date or marry it would be sin. Also, if he did not KNOW it was sin, then it was not mortal sin and he could receive communion (but if someone told him it was then he could not).

bump

It doesn’t sound like there is a problem, but he should check with a priest in Confession where they can discuss all the details.

“Someone said . . .” is a red flag; they are usually wrong. :wink:

From what I understand (and I may be wrong) is being divorced doesn’t keep you away from the sacraments, it’s being divorced and remarried without an annullment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.