Question On Mortal Sin

So, I know that Mortal Sin separates you from God and that you cannot pray for others until you confess it. However, does that mean your prayers are meaningless? If I said a Rosary right now that I get to confession this weekend, would God ignore that? He is everywhere, so I assume he still hears me and listens to me when I pray. Does praying for forgiveness and all of that good stuff mean anything to me right now, or is it just a wasted effort? I know you are supposed to still pray when in Mortal Sin, but I’ve never been explained why if your relationship with God has been severed.

I’ll let someone more qualified answer the finer points, but here’s the basics: if you are truly of a contrite heart and really seek forgiveness, it is already given to you. Go to confession still.

Now I don’t fully understand the why, here, and that’s why I’m waiting for someone a bit more knowledgeable. Why, if you are already forgiven, the confession step is necessary. But it is, and I know that much.

I have never heard that about not being able to pray for others.

Yup

Um, this is not true. You can still pray for someone even though you are in a state of mortal sin. Any sincere prayer is heard.

As per the above. PRAY! Always pray! Sincere prayers are still heard when one is in a state of mortal sin. The Bible says that the fervent prayers of the righteous are powerful, but that doesn’t mean that the prayers of those who are not perfectly righteous are useless. Keep praying! God loves you.

1. You can and should continue to pray for yourself and others when in the state of mortal sin

2. No prayers are meaningless if they are sincere prayers

3. No God would not ignore that. He does not ignore any prayers especially prayers for forgiveness and resentence (remember the Pharisee and the Publican?)

4. He hears and knows all things as He is God. He loves all men and desires that all are saved as He is God. He is the God of infinite mercy Who died for the sins of the people. Also, do you know of the Divine Mercy devotion?

5. It is definitely not a wasted effort.

6. We are to pray in mortal sin because we want to fix our relationship with God. While in mortal sin we have become God’s enemy but He alone can and WILLS to save us. He died for us while we were still sinners. Therefore, God wants our prayer because through our prayer He can assist us and save us. Never give up praying. Especially not in mortal sin. Just do not receive Holy Communion

Hope this helps!

No - but the first prayer needs to be one of repentance - a sincere act of contrition for committing the mortal sin…

If I said a Rosary right now that I get to confession this weekend, would God ignore that?

No - given that you have already repented of the mortal sin

He is everywhere, so I assume he still hears me and listens to me when I pray. Does praying for forgiveness and all of that good stuff mean anything to me right now, or is it just a wasted effort? I know you are supposed to still pray when in Mortal Sin, but I’ve never been explained why if your relationship with God has been severed.

This is why I don’t like the way most people treat mortal sin…
The fact is that mortal sin severs our relationship with God by, as the Catechism says, Killing charity". That is - killing love. Of course God does not do that, we do.
A mortal sin, by it’s very nature is a denial of God’s sovereignty in our lives…a rejection of His Love.
But ours is a merciful God and He waits patiently for us to return, in sorrow and repentance, asking to come back. He then willingly forgives the sincerely repentant heart and restores us to His table.

As always - it’s about Love…

Peace
James

To the OP: as has been mentioned, the act of committing a mortal sin is not God rejecting us, but us rejecting God. God still loves us as much as ever, but since a relationship is a two way thing and we have killed our part, it is dead. But again, God’s love for us is unchanging (otherwise it would be impossible for the relationship to be restored).

Since God loves us and hears everything we think and say, it would be hard to say that He would just ignore our prayers. It may be that there is a defect in any prayers that we say arising from our rejection of God’s sanctifying grace, but God still hears them and will act as He sees fit.

I’ve tried to find something official somewhere saying that prayers become useless while in a state of mortal sin. I failed. Is there some source for this idea I could read over?

I’m not qualified, but this is the internet, so here goes: Confession doesn’t exist for God. It exists for us. God doesn’t need us to go to confession to forgive us. He instituted the sacrament because, while absolution is obviously the most important result, there are other goods as well. There is something about having to admit out loud to another human (especially one who has dedicated his life to God) what evil we have chosen to do that focuses the mind on just how bad sin is. And then, to have that weight lifted off us while we are most conscious of its existence is… an experience.

That is good. Even if we have already made a perfect act of contrition, we experience what exactly it is that God has forgiven us more strongly, which (at least in my experience) both strengthens the resolve to not sin again and helps us to appreciate God’s love for us.

There are also two other reasons: 1) imperfect contrition is much easier to achieve than perfect, and we don’t want to fall into the trap of lying to ourselves by pretending that we’ve achieved it when we haven’t. Again, for me at least, that first part of confession is painful enough that I have to fight past all kinds of lies I tell myself to make myself go there - despite the fact that I know that it will ultimately be a freeing and wonderful experience.

And 2) perfect contrition contains the desire to please God as best we can. Even though we know God has forgiven us, we also know that God prefers that forgiveness to be delivered through the sacrament of confession and so that we should do it.

Mortal sin does separate us from God. I was also pondering if I should even pray when I’m separated from Him.

I received my answer in another way; I continued to receive Love, Blessings and Graces from Him even when I wasn’t in a state of Grace. It’s like He wants to remind me that He still loves me and wants me near Him, which encourages me even more to get back ‘right’ with Him.

I think the devil encourages/tempts us to believe that God doesn’t even want us to talk to Him or call on Him unless we are perfect; if we are already in mortal sin, it gives the devil an opening. Don’t let it separate you even more.

I suggest you read some of the answers that I recieved on a question similar to yours. Hope it helps :

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=807110

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.