Question on NFP I can't answer alone:

Well first let me first say this post is more about my sister then me! She is much older and married but heavily contracepting. Even though I'm much younger I still know the worth of not using contraceptives and have heard a lot about how great NFP can be for couples, but I didn't know how to respond to her when she told me that NFP (the rhythm method is what she called it) wouldn't work for her because she has always had irregular cycles and still does. I let the subject dropped but recently gave her a book on NFP so I'm wondering if she'll ask me about it again. How should I respond to this? I looked it up online and found a lot of secular sites saying that NFP just wont work if you have irregular cycles but I thought this probably couldn't be totally right because the church wouldn't stand behind it so much if it only worked on a certain amount of people.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to help my sister (i hate that she fills her body with such dangerous things as contraceptives but gives her dog organic dog food) but I feel so discouraged! Its so hard to talk to her about stuff like this with her being 12 years my senior and married and me being a teenage virgin! Its also made harder by the fact that shes left the church and is pretty anti catholic. If anyone could help or give advice on how to minister with her that would be great!

Toni Weschler's book Taking Charge of Your Fertility is about the best book I can suggest that you buy and read, and then give to your sister. It's secular and it thoroughly explains the Sympto-Thermal method.

It is very important to NEVER call NFP "the rhythm" method, and it's important to correct anyone who does. The rhythm method is a calendar method based on averages. Scientific methods of Natural Family Planning do not use averages. They use actual signs of fertility every day. Therefore, it certainly is effective with so-called "irregular cycles."

We have been using the Creighton Model of NFP for 18 years. It specializes in irregular cycles. While books may be helpful, the best advice to give anyone is to attend an introductory class by a certified practitioner.

Very important: do not attempt to self-educate on the use of NFP. Regular visits with a certified practitioner are essential. Furthermore, these practioners are also very helpful in other areas of women’s health that help keep both the man and the woman in tune with their fertility.

If your parish does not support or have a certified practitioner, send me a PM and I will help you.

I'm terribly irregular. Always has been and it's gotten worse now that I am over 45. The Creighton Model is ideal. My youngest child is 7 and we have only used Creighton, nothing else.

The old rhythm method relied on a calendar, and that's why it didn't work for women with irregular cycles. The new methods, including Creighton, rely on the signs of ovulation that the woman's body produces -- different signs for different women. Basal body temp (which I can't use because of chronic insomnia), changes in the cervix, changes in cervical fluid, little twingey feelings, even food cravings and changes in sleep patterns and more can indicate pending ovulation. It's a matter of paying attention to your body and responding to it appropriately. And it's all very scientific - proven with years of research by doctors who care about women's body.

Since she's into organics, that might be the route to take with her. No family planning system is more organic than NFP! The pill has many dangerous side effects. Ask her to sit down with you and read that insert that comes with her pills each month. It's rather shocking what the pill can do -- it shortens women's lives! I always find it interesting that the rate of heart disease in women has increased tremendously - right along with the rate of using the contraceptive pill, and cardiovascular disease is one of the listed side effects!

[quote="prstoessel, post:3, topic:234016"]
We have been using the Creighton Model of NFP for 18 years. It specializes in irregular cycles. While books may be helpful, the best advice to give anyone is to attend an introductory class by a certified practitioner.

Very important: do not attempt to self-educate on the use of NFP. Regular visits with a certified practitioner are essential. Furthermore, these practioners are also very helpful in other areas of women's health that help keep both the man and the woman in tune with their fertility.

If your parish does not support or have a certified practitioner, send me a PM and I will help you.

[/quote]

Yes, yes, yes:thumbsup:

I was on hormones for supposed 'medical therapy' for PCOS and endometriosis, but honestly I think it just made me sicker in the long run. I am so happy to be hormone free, I have regular cycles for the first time ever! Acupuncture has helped, and surprisingly getting pregnant and having my daughter. I know it sounds counterproductive, but go figure... PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is supposed to make it nearly impossible to conceive, and my daughter was conceived while I was on hormonal birth control. In addition, I was never overweight until I had my daughter (and I lost the weight after she was born), and apparently most women with PCOS are pretty overweight.

:shrug:
Doctors can be wrong. Even irregular women can have luck with NFP and not wind up with 8 kids in 10 years (unless that is what your sister wants ;)

I really think that's awesome that you want to help your sister and you came here with question/s. I learned NFP in my 20's when I got engaged, and once I learned it, I was so sorry that I hadn't learned it when in my teens! I have/had irregular cycles and it was wonderful to realize when I was delayed in ovulating and my period wasn't a surprise! Whether or not your sis shows any interest or not, you will benefit to understand your body and what it's telling you. Hugs to you, I wish you were my younger sis!

[quote="Sparki777, post:4, topic:234016"]

Since she's into organics, that might be the route to take with her. No family planning system is more organic than NFP! The pill has many dangerous side effects. Ask her to sit down with you and read that insert that comes with her pills each month. It's rather shocking what the pill can do -- it shortens women's lives! I always find it interesting that the rate of heart disease in women has increased tremendously - right along with the rate of using the contraceptive pill, and cardiovascular disease is one of the listed side effects!

[/quote]

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I first tried to talk to her! Thats when she said she was too irregular for NFP. I just talked to her and she said she had questions for me but had forgotten them so I'm trying too read up on my stuff for when she remembers!

I'm coming to the relization that all I can do is pray for her. One of the problems I have with talking to her about stuff like this is that she really doesn't want kids. If she has kids you see, then she wouldn't be able to take vacations to the beach and go on cruises when ever she wants :shrug: And also the fact that shes not Catholic is no help to me at all!!

Please pray that I am able to minister to her. I feel so small and insignificant, me the unmarried (boyfriendless even!!) younger sister trying to help my older sister! I don't know if I can do it! Please pray that God works through me in getting her off those nasty pills she takes!

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.