Question on the Blessed Mother Part II

Hello all,

Just a quick question I guess.

How do we tell the difference between loving Mary a lot and committing idolatry? It's a fine line isn't it?

I don't get when love ends and idolatry begins. I'm confused and I don't want to make a big mistake. :(

Thanks,
coolduude:cool:

the problem of idolatry is not when you love Mary too much, but when you love Jesus too little. If you love Mary more than God, then you’re committing idolatry. But this is very hard to commit because the more you love Mary, the more she will help you to love God :slight_smile:

if you love Mary with all your heart, you’ll find yourself loving God even more… in fact, loving Him with her love. There’s no fear in devotion to her.

there were people in Church history who separated from the Church and started their own sects that worshipped Mary… but they were condemned by the Church. And they were lead astray by false doctrines/delusions. if you stay with what the Church has accepted, you’ll be fine :slight_smile:

the Saints said, Jesus is so little loved and known because Mary is so little known.

You've asked a really good question. One that I think we have all given some thought to.

I'm sensing you're in a very confusing and difficult time right now, so let me say this; Ecclesiastes states that there are "times and seasons". For instance, there are times when we are strong in our faith and times when we are weak. When we are strong, our union or relationship with Jesus seems secure. When we are weak, we feel as though we are a piece of driftwood carried by the current not knowing where we are going. It may be difficult during these times to really trust God, after all, everything we believed in has been turned upside down. It is during these times that Mary comes to us and leads us back to her son.

During these times, you may feel compelled to cling to her more than Jesus Himself, but that is why He gave her to you....to guide you back to Him! :) You are a part of a family, and each member has their own place and responsibility. She will always be dearer to you during these times since that is her office - bringing weary and wayward souls to her Son. Our Blessed Mother is so loving and maternal that it is impossible to see her work and not realize that it is He, Himself, bringing you back to Him!

He gave her many gifts, and each one extols His greatness! Do not worry that if for a time you seem to cling to her more than to Him. This is temporary, for where she is, you will find Him also. :)

This happens mostly to people who get caught up in visions of Mary and give it meaning that causes them to reject the Church's teaching. If one's devotion to Mary leads one to a fuller communion with her Son it isn't idolatry. We can know this when it leads us to a fuller communion with the Church and a deeper devotion to the Sacraments.

Coolduude,

the answers provided by Monica4316, Wxboss and Benadam are right on and beautifully worded. I'm glad I had a chance to read them. Thank you.

Our Blessed Mother will always lead us to Jesus. Take care.

Remember you are praying through Mary, not to Mary. You are asking her intercession. The only being we pray to is the Triune God.

But also don't neglect Mary, either. Yes, it is a balance.

Know Mary, know Jesus. No Mary, no Jesus.

[quote="coolduude, post:1, topic:179868"]
Hello all,

Just a quick question I guess.

How do we tell the difference between loving Mary a lot and committing idolatry? It's a fine line isn't it?

I don't get when love ends and idolatry begins. I'm confused and I don't want to make a big mistake. :(

Thanks,
coolduude:cool:

[/quote]

It is important to realize that Mary is a real person. When you love her, she is loving back in real and sometimes tangible ways. You are not just throwing affection at some distant stranger. Even if there is something inappropriate in your affection for her, with time I think she will help you get rid of it. Even if your devotion for Mary is not 100% true as defined by the church or by St. Montfort, Mary will guide you through everything till you finally get it right.

Just remember that when you commune with Mary, you are communing with this real person: the Mother of Christ. If you persist in praying the Rosary, you will not go astray; Mary will prevent you from going astray. I think St. Montfort did say that no one who prays the rosary daily will go astray.

The word "idolatry" is from the word "lateria," which is the NT word for worship due to God alone.

It's VERY hard for an educated Christian to deliberatly commit idolatry, when you think about it.

And it can't be done accidentally.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.