Question on the homily

Is it allowable for a lay-person to address the congregation about an issue, immediately after the homily, or is this a liturgical abuse?

Not sure. I’m trying to think if I’ve ever seen this happen. Other than for the readings, I seem to only recall someone other than the priest speaking during the anouncements at the end of mass.

From the 2004 Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum at vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html:

“[74.] If the need arises for the gathered faithful to be given instruction or testimony by a layperson in a Church concerning the Christian life, it is altogether preferable that this be done outside Mass. Nevertheless, for serious reasons it is permissible that this type of instruction or testimony be given after the Priest has proclaimed the Prayer after Communion. This should not become a regular practice, however. Furthermore, these instructions and testimony should not be of such a nature that they could be confused with the homily,[156] nor is it permissible to dispense with the homily on their account.”

Many thanks for those replies. They certainly give me some food for thought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.