Question on the Minor Chastisement and "Trial, Tribulation & Triumph"

I’ll try and ask this best I can since I have multiple questions stemming from a larger one:

Ok, so I hear there was (supposedly, based on the “Trial, Tribulation & Triumph” book by Desmond Birch) a general consensus on a future “Minor Chastisement”. Now my first question is, if it were to happen, would it be a direct act of God (Like making an asteroid of fire appear out of nowhere) or is it simply a natural consequence of peoples actions? (Such as how World war 1 was a result of nations building up militaries and dangerous alliances)

My second question is on whether this Minor Chastisement will even be literal (At least how we consider things to be literal) For example an article at Ignatius press (ignatiusinsight.com/features2005/smiesel_popesproph_apr05.asp) mentions this interesting point I did not consider:

“…But whether medieval or modern, these prophecies carry political baggage from the eras in which they are made such as anxiety about European rulers, secret societies, and a climactic “Birch Tree Battle” in Westphalia, Germany.”

Also someone on another forum mentions how prophecies by saints are not always to be taken literally, and then says that they may not even be God sent or divine, since just because someone is a Saint does not automatically make their writings or visions infallible.

Let me add to the 4th paragraph something else said on these forums:

"Fr. Benedict Groeschel has a book about PR called A Still, Small Voice. I can’t adequately present his insights, but here’s a brief sketch: If a message is from God, He obviously knows that a fallible human is remembering and describing and interpreting it. Something is always going to be lost in translation. Human beings don’t have the same guarantee of infallability and uncorrupt teaching that Christ gave the Church.

Everything that makes the visionary a human being affects both their own interpretations of what they’ve seen and how those visions are described and relayed to the public. It’s all filtered through their (fallible) perspective and imaginations. Education, vocabulary, spirituality, upbringing, family and culture, emotional state, etc., etc. will ALL factor in to their interpretations."

Originally Posted by jaxson: Now my first question is, if it were to happen, would it be a direct act of God (Like making an asteroid of fire appear out of nowhere) or is it simply a natural consequence of peoples actions? (Such as how World war 1 was a result of nations building up militaries and dangerous alliances)

I’ve read Desmond’s book and have studied Catholic Prophecy.

The answer to these two questions is, according to that book, both. This is my understanding:

The Minor Chastisement will come in two waves.

The first half is man-made. God allows us to wallow in our own sins so that the fruit of sin itself is the tool of punishment. An example would be the suffering inflicted by AIDS, drug addictions, greed, etc. This man-made chastisement is a direct reflection of the forbidden fruit itself, which at first tastes sweet and delicious, but is, at its center, bitter poison.

After the time of the man-made chastisements, then a second heaven-sent chastisement is manifested through the three days of darkness. It’s a terrifying prophecy. All the demons from hell are released to cleanse the earth. It is supposed to be a modern-day parallel of the tenth plague of Egypt, except that in our time, those struck down will be (mainly) the enemies of the Church, that is, those who refused to repent during the period of the man-made chastisements. I also read that some innocents die as victim souls during this time, too, so we’re not to judge the dead.

The Three Days of Darkness take place over a 72-hour time period, that is, theoretically.

There are also a lot of different views on the three days of darkness. Some say it will be Nuclear War. Some say Supernatural (heaven-sent). Some say Metaphoric. Desmond believes it to be supernatural, as do I.

I hope this helps. God bless you.

Mary Ann

On a personal level,

Look at the world around us. Is this present darkness not a reflection of the bitterness of sin?

Just something to consider.

God bless you.

Mary Ann

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.