Question on the priest's vestments for Laetare Sunday (4th Sunday of Lent)

Since today is Laetare (Rejoice) Sunday, the priests are supposed to wear rose to mark the joyous half-way point to Easter. Now, the priest at the Mass I attended today wore violet. I had to lector today, and I know he was aware that rose vestments were to be worn, because someone pointed it out to him before Mass, but he chose to wear violet. Then I questioned myself. Is there an option of wearing rose or violet today? I thought there was, but I wasn’t sure.

My first thought is that wearing rose is optional, it it not a “have to”

It’s up to the priest? Any one feel free to correct me, bit my understanding is that the priest does not have to wear rose. It’s his choice.

I know there is no strict obligation, because all chapels don’t have rose sets, but I’m not sure if he is obligated to wear it if there is one available.

The Ordo allows both. I served two masses Sunday with two different priests, first mass we wore rose, second violet. Both are proper and the choice of the celebrant. I personally prefer the Rose be worn sinse there are only two days of the year it is proper, 3rd Sunday of Advent and this past Sunday.

I wish priests would choose to wear the rose on Laetare Sunday, if it is available to them.
It is so beautiful a color and sets aside that particular Sunday as distinct in announcing the joy that is to come.
I made such a fuss over it in choir that I actually got some people to wear pink along with me (under the choir robes). It really adds to the day. There were pink ribbons along with violet decorating the altar and touches of pink on the twig wreaths throughout the church. That made me happy. At the end of his homily, the monsignor said, “Rejoice! God is good.”:slight_smile:

it is an optional color

GIRM 346. As to the color of sacred vestments, the traditional usage is to be retained: namely,

1. Violet or purple is used in Advent and of Lent. …
  1. Rose may be used, where it is the practice, on Gaudete Sunday (Third Sunday of Advent) and on Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent).

Hate to say it…but this was posted already.

I know, but I wanted to include the actual GIRM text; actual document references are always a good thing :wink:

That’s a great idea! I think I will buy my sons dress shirts in liturgical colors. Then they will know what to wear to Mass. One of them would look great, since he is an usher. Rats! Wish I were more on top of this! Maybe in time for Advent.

The cantor at the Mass I went to yesterday wore a nice pink top. At least I saw some rose yesterday!

Our priests usually do wear rose for the two Sundays, but many churches/priests might decide not to buy vestments that are only worn twice a year since it is not required. For those who love the rose vestments, consider taking up a collection to buy them for your church. Bet the priest will wear them if the congregation provides them! :smiley:

I don’t think ours would…someone told him he looked good in pink…:smiley: Fr was not pleased:D:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.