Question on Tridentine Mass

In a Tridentine mass, when the priest descends the steps and administers Holy Communion to each individual, is he required to say “Corpus Domini Nostri Jesu Christi Custodiat Animam Tuam in Vitam Aeternam” completely to each individual communicant, or can he say it one time to “cover” more than one (e.g. three) individuals? Thank you!!!

My experience at every Tridentine Mass has been that the Priest says this as he gives the Sacrament and does not say it to individual persons. In other words, for every time he says it he could give Communion to two, three, four persons and when he finishes saying it he begins again.

I am fairly certain that he is required to say the entire statement to each communicant. You will also notice that the latin pronoun *tuam *is the singular form of the second person pronoun.

Our priest will say the entire prayer but I know of some priests who will just say “Corpus Christi”.

[quote=spetreopn]I am fairly certain that he is required to say the entire statement to each communicant. You will also notice that the latin pronoun *tuam *is the singular form of the second person pronoun.
[/quote]

This was my experience when I was able to attend the TLM. The priest said the whole thing to each communicant.

The priest is suppose to say “Corpus Domini Nostri Jesu Christi Custodiat Animam Tuam in Vitam Aeternam. Amen” to each person, to do otherwise is actually an abuse.

When I was a kid the priest only said, “Corpus Christi,” and that is what the nuns taught us that he would say. Also, ever time I go to a Trinitine mass, today, the priest only says “Corpus Christi,” I’ve never even heard that long phrase that you said.

:blessyou:

This is an example of older liturgical “abuses.” My missals from 1950 and the 1954 editio typica all specify that this formula is to be said in its entirety to each individual (as the words themselves suggest). But communion was awfully fast sometimes, and the formula tended to become “Corpus Domini nostri Jesu Christi (mumble mumble)…”

At every Tridentine Mass I have attended, before and post Vatican II, the priest says to each communicant “Corpus Domini nostri Jesu Christi custodiat animam tuam in vitam aeternam” and translated this says, “May the body of our Lord Jesus Christ keep thy soul unto life everlasting. Amen” and this is the correct way to do it - I would question anything less.

I have not been to a Tridentine Mass before, but will hopefully go to one soon, since the Bishop has recently approved a Tridentine Mass in my diocese.

Does the communicant respond Amen, like in the NO Mass.

The priest should say the full “Christi … (thru to) … aeturnum” formula for each communicant, who kneeling at the altar rail with eyes averted and tongue well out in order to receive the blessed sacrament without any chance of the wafer dropping, definitely must NOT say OR ATTEMPT to say “Amen”. After receiving the faithful should quietly rise, with eyes averted and return prayerfully with hands together to one’s seat.

Awesome! Thanks.

[quote=DJJG]When I was a kid the priest only said, “Corpus Christi,” and that is what the nuns taught us that he would say. Also, ever time I go to a Trinitine mass, today, the priest only says “Corpus Christi,” I’ve never even heard that long phrase that you said.

:blessyou:
[/quote]

Was this after 1964 or 1965?

DJJG - if you are going to a real Tridentine Mass - then this is an abuse and not the way to do it. The rites are not to be “mixed”.

Now if you are going to an N.O. Latin Mass, then this may be appropriate but even then I am not sure.

Where is it you go to Tridentine Mass?

[quote=deogratias]DJJG - if you are going to a real Tridentine Mass - then this is an abuse and not the way to do it. The rites are not to be “mixed”.

Now if you are going to an N.O. Latin Mass, then this may be appropriate but even then I am not sure.

Where is it you go to Tridentine Mass?
[/quote]

The 1965 Missal uses “Corpus Christi” instead.

The only other Missal that uses “Corpus Christi” is the Ambrosian Missal, however “Corpus Christi” should not be used in the 1962 Missal.

Johannes

But the 1965 Missal, as far as I know, is not approved for use anymore. It may have been when he was younger and taught by the Nuns that Corpus Christi was what the priest uttered but he (or she) said all the Tridentine Masses he has gone to (implied recently) use this too - that’s why I asked where he went to Tridentine Mass.

Only the 1962 Missal or the NOM is approved for now.

Perhaps he goes to an Anglican rite and I am not sure what they do during communion.

[quote=proud2bcatholic]I have not been to a Tridentine Mass before, but will hopefully go to one soon, since the Bishop has recently approved a Tridentine Mass in my diocese.

Does the communicant respond Amen, like in the NO Mass.
[/quote]

No, you don’t say anything. (It is printed in the missalettes in the pews here: “Do not say Amen.”)
The “Amen” is part of what the priest says.

Where I attend Latin Mass, the priest always says “the whole thing” (see messages above) to every person receiving Holy Communion. (No abuse here on this one.) :slight_smile:

I haven’t been to any recent Tridentine Masses, but I recall that before the Mass was revised, the priests at our parish did not say the entire prayer for each communicant, but recited it continuously as they distributed communion.

If there are a lot of communicants (what if the Tridentine Mass becomes really popular) wouldn’t saying it for each communicant tend to inordinately lengthen then time for communion?

JimG

It was very popular before vatican II LOL

Actually we have about 400 receiving communion at our TLM and another priests assists the celebrant in serving communion - you would be surprised how quickly it goes using the communion rail method - he moves right along and as one person gets up another takes his place.

S Corda - RE Where I attend Latin Mass, the priest always says “the whole thing” (see messages above) to every person receiving Holy Communion My old missal specifies that he is to say it to each communicant. However my memory of the 50’s and early 60’s is that he said it once for every two or three communicants.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.